Looking for advice - Building a 55 gallon Reef with fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

55ReefGuy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

Well I'm researching a lot lately with the intention of building a 55 gallon SaltWater Reef aquarium with corals, live rock, live sand and fish.

Here is what I am thinking of buying to start the unit, but PLEASE give me your opinion:

- 55 gallon tank with stand and and cover (not sure what brand yet)
- Marineland Emperor 400 Power Filter with Bio Wheel 400GPH
- Penguin Power Head 1140 - 300GPH
- Digital thermometer
- Protein Skimmer (not sure which one yet)??
- Thermostat heater

Now, is anything missing or not needed? Any recommendations? Nothing is bought, and I'm open to suggestions from you guys and gals!

Thanks
Eric

- 55 gallon tank with stand and and cover (not sure what brand yet)

Get a drilled (reef ready) tank for easy addition of a sump to place equipment in.

- Marineland Emperor 400 Power Filter with Bio Wheel 400GPH

Not necessary, if you already have it, remove the biowheels and use it for water movement and occasional use of carbon.

I would use MaxiJet 1200s, probably 4 of them, or make a closed loop for water motion.

- Digital thermometer

These are cool ;)

- Protein Skimmer (not sure which one yet)??

I'd go with an Aqua-C Urchin Pro, in the sump or the Aqua-c EV 180, alternately I might use an appropriately sized EuroReef skimmer.

- Thermostat heater

I'd go with a WON ProHeat titanium heater, excellent heaters and are unbreakable. You want to get 3-5 watts per gallon on your tank, depending on your climate, I like to get two heaters of slightly smaller wattage rather than 1 large heater, that way, if it sticks on it can't boil the tank and if one sticks off, the other one can keep the tank reasonably warm.

Marineland Emperor 400 Power Filter with Bio Wheel 400GPH
Imo get LR and LS and forget this purchase

I agree Maxi Jet 1200s are a bit nicer and quiter..
- Digital thermometer
Yes Very Cool
Protein Skimmer (not sure which one yet)??

I'd go with an Aqua-C Urchin Pro, in the sump or the Aqua-c EV 180, alternately I might use an appropriately sized EuroReef skimmer.
I run the EV180 on my tank and all I can say is WOW..
- Thermostat heater

I'd go with a WON ProHeat titanium heater, excellent heaters and are unbreakable. You want to get 3-5 watts per gallon on your tank, depending on your climate, I like to get two heaters of slightly smaller wattage rather than 1 large heater, that way, if it sticks on it can't boil the tank and if one sticks off, the other one can keep the tank reasonably warm.
I use the Won proheat 300 and it keeps my tank very stable in temp.. I plan on adding a backup but right now I am home almost 24/7 and my thermometer has a High/Low alarm so I would be right there to correct any issue.. highly reccomend getting 2 of them..

I would look into getting a Sump where you can place all your equiptment in and keep them out of the Aquarium.. A few other things.. Test kits.. Dont get anything other than Salifert or Seachem.. You might have to get them online but they are the only 2 brands that I have found accurate.. Digital pH meter is also nice but not needed.. Check into captiveReefs.com for some of your Equiptment.. he has great prices and his Customer service is Top Notch..

HTH<
James

As much as I'd like to add something to the above advice, I can't except to say that I agree. Kevin and James pretty well covered it.

Why don't I need the bio wheels?
And if I go with the sump, what kind of filter and water pump do I need?
Didn't read up on the sump system yet, so this is all news to me!!

Thanks

OK, here is the updated list:

- 55 gallon reef ready aquarium with cover and stand.
- 2 MaxiJet 1200 Powerhead for water movement.
- Digital thermometer.
- Aqua-c EV 180 protein skimmer.
- Magdrive 7 water pump
- 2 Won proheat 150W heaters.
- Salifert or Seachem test kits.

Thanks for the advice!
If I may ask, what does looping the powerhead's do? Should the Powerhead's be at each back corner of the tank?

Thanks for all the help. The advice and articles have been really great.

Eric

Since you are having the mag 7 for a return.. I would suggest a 9.5 as the mag 7 just doesnt seem enough to me.. You can put the 2 powerheads in the front corners and plumb the return from the Mag 7 in the back 2 corners.. The mag 9.5 is rated about 950gph but at 4' head which is probably what your looking at it will be about 700gph or so.. Fot the few dollars difference I would get the 9.5..

You will like the Ev180 as you can also put it on a larger tank in the future as its rated for up to 180g tanks.. Everything looks great.. Except your going to need a sump if you get one.. Captivereefs.com has awesome looking sumps.. I have never used one "Yet" but they look like they would work great.. Also PremiumAquatics.com has the precision Marine bubbless sump which I have heard alot of good things about.. I would check out both..

HTH,
James

Getting closer

I'm wondering what size tank can I put next to a supporting wall on the second floor?

Anyone know?

I'm also undecided on what sump to buy. Any recommendations?

personally I like this one Precision Marine or you may want to talk with Darin over at captivereefs.com it seems as though he took them off his site but he had some very awesome sumps that had a waterchange thingy on them.. They were very reasonably priced as well..

HTH,
James

I have a 75 gal on what is basicly the second floor since there is a finished basement under it. If the floor is properly supported you could put any size tank you wanted. When in doubt try to verify the size and spacing of the floor joists and then work from there. IMO most standard houses built to modern housing code should be able to support a 90gal tank on a above ground floor if the tank is placed close to a load bearing wall.

Disclamer: I am not a contractor or carpenter.

hey im new to this. andi only want a fowlr, but i have heard u need high powered lighting. im not srue wat kind im sure someone in here can help u just an idea.

Does anyone know what the maximum size (or pounds) of aquarium you can put on the second floor near a supporting wall?

Back
Top Bottom