Looking for advice on Wrasses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bamboo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have never owned a wrasses, from what I am reading most tend to burry themselves under the sand. I am considering buying a Dragon Wrasses but I am concerned because I have a medium to large sized Hermit Crab. Will the Crab kill the Wrasses if it catches it while it is buried in the sand?
Thanks for your advice

In general, wrasses tend to be jumpers, so they need a tight fitting lid.
What kind of hermit crab is it? That might be the determining factor. Here are some, in case you don't know what kind it is:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=501
That wrasse needs a minimum of a 70G tank. As the Dragon Wrasse matures it will eat crustaceans, snails, shrimp, starfish, smaller fish, worms, and other invertebrates. (so he might end up eating your whole clean up crew, including the hermit.)
Others will come along and better assist you, since that is all I have read on them....

I have a sixline wrasse and love it. Very colorful and active in the tank.

like i said on the other forum :D, you dont have anything to worry about unless your hermit is the size of a watermelon. people are always quick to assume the hermit the culprit when they see it feeding on your prized fish, but more often than not, the hermit found the fish and started eating it after it was already dead. if the hermit crab did catch the fish with its pathetic claws, then your fish was terribly sick and it was going to die anyhow.

hermits just arent fish killers.

I would be more concerned with the DRagon Wrasse attacking the hermit crabs as it get larger and not theother way around.

I would be more concerned with the DRagon Wrasse attacking the hermit crabs as it get larger and not theother way around.

That exactly what I was trying to say. Sorry I was not more specific.

I agree with Roka and NYC. I'd be worried about the wrasse eating the hermit. If you are really worried about it, I'd just take back the hermit and try to get some credit and get some cash off the wrasse.

Back
Top Bottom