Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben2057
Puffers are very smart . Lion fish just scare me because they are quite poisonous. A lion might also outgrow that tank but I'm not sure others might know.
What do you mean by smart lol?

Old 05-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #12
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

my main reason I say pre mix you get a more accurate reading from the start
don't know much about lions other than they get real big and from every pet store I've been to told me there hard to keep very delicate

Old 05-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lions can be difficult because a lot of times they need to be taught to eat frozen which some will only eat live or even revert back to eating only live after being trained but your tank would be a great size for any dwarf lion but no full size lions would work imo and as for an eel most will outgrow your tank you will be limited to just a couple with the snowflake among them which would he a nice combination I think...also you could just "add salt" to convert but you would be much better off to take out and clean everything or even replace the substrate due to all the waste that has built up in it...and lastly the canisters will work just fine but as stated will need to be cleaned. You may want to consider a 20 gallon long DIY sump before you begin this project. Cutting corners often times will make the SW side of the hobby much more difficult and less appealing so always do your research and then back it up with someone with experience on somewhere like here, good luck with it hope to see pics soon
Old 05-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thank you. Very informative!!! I do like the dwarf lions! I like the fu manchus as well, but may go with a classic dwarf style lion. Also will just add a snowflake eel. I will start with small specimens of course.

I will replace all the sand. Silica sand being inert and cheap will be my choice. Also I will use lace rock for some hiding areas. My two canisters will run either crushed coral or live rock. I have twin t5 lights (not HO) and I'll purchase dimmer bulbs for the lion fish (read they prefer lower light).

While my canisters are cycling the tank (shrimp cycle) I will work on my sump. I don't mind having a sump, I just thought two canisters would be enough. I get what you are saying however. I will not drill the tank so it will be a HOB intake.

Sound good?
Old 05-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well the good thing with Sumps imo is the ability to hide some stuff like heater, thermometer, and skimmer. It will also add to you water volume giving you more buffer room for mistakes. My favorite thing about having a sump is adding a refugium. I have about a 7 gallon refugium in my 20 long which keeps my nitrates in my 46 below 5 ppm even after 3 weeks with it about 3/4 stocked and is a great refuge for pods which are one of the best cuc members in the aquarium world imo
Old 05-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

So you build a refug into a sump? Would that be the center portion of the sump?
Old 05-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep this is mine
Old 05-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like that. So that us a 20long heh. My only two questions would be, is that just a regular Florescent light, and how powerful is your return pump.

I often wonder how strong your pump needs to be because I imagine you can only drain as fast as the Syphon puts into the sump. Guess that would depend on the size of your vacuum pipe size. This is why I am on here, to ask the experts (you).
Old 05-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Trust me I'm by no means an expert lol but my tank is drilled so I don't have to worry about matching flow as much. Also your return flow will depend on your head I'm getting roughly 500 gph in my tank from the return pump at 4.5'...when you order a HOB overflow it will be rated for x amount of gph so you match that with a pump that'll be the same (or stronger if you plan on installing a flow valve on the return)
Old 05-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

And yes that is just a cfl in a reflector but some people will get actual refugium lights which depending on your plants will make the difference

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com