Looking for ideas! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Readingexcalibur

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am new to saltwater! Currently working on a small nano reef. I have a 60g full of freshwater fish, plants, and sand.

The reef tank to this point makes me want to get out of freshwater. Lol. The tank has 2 Rena xP3 canister filters. I am considering Doing a predator tank.

We want a manju lion fish/puffer/eel? Or other idea is a puffer and a trigger of some sort.

Can I pull fish and plants out. Do a water change. Then just add salt directly to the tank. Let it cycle (raw shrimp style) with a few pieces of lave rock. Sand is silica pool filter sand.

I guess you could do that but it would probably be a better idea to start with 60 gallons of new water. If you were gonna do that id change half of it if not going to restart. I see your in las vegas you should check out Reptiles and reefs they have a lot of cool things. As for water wait for others to suggest as well.

Yeah, I love all the pet places out here. Growing up, I've owned a red foot Tortes, and a bearded dragon from them.

Yeah, I would do a 100% water change, declor, then add salt. I'm just wondering if the silica sand and lace rock would be ok. Also having the Rena's and no sump.

rather than adding salt direct to tank I would pre mix first
As for those canisters they'll be more a head ack than there worth
don't see why the sand and lace rock would cause any issues as long as long as it don't leach out ,

54seaweed said:
rather than adding salt direct to tank I would pre mix first
As for those canisters they'll be more a head ack than there worth
don't see why the sand and lace rock would cause any issues as long as long as it don't leach out ,

Yeah, I was hoping to just use the filters because they are already there. As for the saltwater, I can mix it out of the tank. But is their a huge difference from mixing it in a bucket and poring it in? Or just doing it in the tank the first time as their is no fish in it at all? The lace rock is base and the silica sand is inert. :)

Its ok to mix salt if you have no inhabitants or no saltwater beneficial bacteria. People tend not to clean out canisters (if its hooked up to their system) on a regular basis because it takes long to clean (should only take ~15 mins to rinse the pads). I hate cleaning out my canister every 1-2 weeks, which is why im switching to a sump. If you get establish enough live rocks, then its ok to ditch the canister.

For your tank, i suggest doing a solitary fish if you are doing a predator theme. Your chances of success is very high in this hobby with a solitary predator.

Terrance said:
Its ok to mix salt if you have no inhabitants or no saltwater beneficial bacteria. People tend not to clean out canisters (if its hooked up to their system) on a regular basis because it takes long to clean (should only take ~15 mins to rinse the pads). I hate cleaning out my canister every 1-2 weeks, which is why im switching to a sump. If you get establish enough live rocks, then its ok to ditch the canister.

For your tank, i suggest doing a solitary fish if you are doing a predator theme. Your chances of success is very high in this hobby with a solitary predator.

Any ideas on the pred? My wife seems interested in the smaller lion fish. I don't mind a solitary fish. Actually, I am excited for the learning process.

I was thinking I would put live rock rubble in the filter. I don't mind cleaning them. Rena's are easy to work with IMO. I normally alternate on the cleaning so I can maintain good BB.

Puffers are very smart . Lion fish just scare me because they are quite poisonous. A lion might also outgrow that tank but I'm not sure others might know.

Lions are my fav. Very hardy. A good starter fish. If that can't eat another fish in one bit they will not mess with it. So a small lion likea fu manchu (sorry of spelled wrong). Is a very compatible pred.

Lumis said:
Lions are my fav. Very hardy. A good starter fish. If that can't eat another fish in one bit they will not mess with it. So a small lion likea fu manchu (sorry of spelled wrong). Is a very compatible pred.

I do like this lion, I read they only get 4-5 inchs. Pricy too, it's 125$ here at my lfs. But you pay for the special guys! :) I am thinking one of these, and an eel. Maybe, and I truly mean maybe, a dwarf puffer, bigger than the lions mouth lol.

bigben2057 said:
Puffers are very smart . Lion fish just scare me because they are quite poisonous. A lion might also outgrow that tank but I'm not sure others might know.

What do you mean by smart lol?

my main reason I say pre mix you get a more accurate reading from the start
don't know much about lions other than they get real big and from every pet store I've been to told me there hard to keep very delicate

Lions can be difficult because a lot of times they need to be taught to eat frozen which some will only eat live or even revert back to eating only live after being trained but your tank would be a great size for any dwarf lion but no full size lions would work imo and as for an eel most will outgrow your tank you will be limited to just a couple with the snowflake among them which would he a nice combination I think...also you could just "add salt" to convert but you would be much better off to take out and clean everything or even replace the substrate due to all the waste that has built up in it...and lastly the canisters will work just fine but as stated will need to be cleaned. You may want to consider a 20 gallon long DIY sump before you begin this project. Cutting corners often times will make the SW side of the hobby much more difficult and less appealing so always do your research and then back it up with someone with experience on somewhere like here, good luck with it hope to see pics soon :)

Thank you. Very informative!!! I do like the dwarf lions! I like the fu manchus as well, but may go with a classic dwarf style lion. Also will just add a snowflake eel. I will start with small specimens of course.

I will replace all the sand. Silica sand being inert and cheap will be my choice. Also I will use lace rock for some hiding areas. My two canisters will run either crushed coral or live rock. I have twin t5 lights (not HO) and I'll purchase dimmer bulbs for the lion fish (read they prefer lower light).

While my canisters are cycling the tank (shrimp cycle) I will work on my sump. I don't mind having a sump, I just thought two canisters would be enough. I get what you are saying however. I will not drill the tank so it will be a HOB intake.

Sound good? :)

Well the good thing with Sumps imo is the ability to hide some stuff like heater, thermometer, and skimmer. It will also add to you water volume giving you more buffer room for mistakes. My favorite thing about having a sump is adding a refugium. I have about a 7 gallon refugium in my 20 long which keeps my nitrates in my 46 below 5 ppm even after 3 weeks with it about 3/4 stocked and is a great refuge for pods which are one of the best cuc members in the aquarium world imo

I like that. So that us a 20long heh. My only two questions would be, is that just a regular Florescent light, and how powerful is your return pump.

I often wonder how strong your pump needs to be because I imagine you can only drain as fast as the Syphon puts into the sump. Guess that would depend on the size of your vacuum pipe size. This is why I am on here, to ask the experts (you). :)

Trust me I'm by no means an expert lol but my tank is drilled so I don't have to worry about matching flow as much. Also your return flow will depend on your head I'm getting roughly 500 gph in my tank from the return pump at 4.5'...when you order a HOB overflow it will be rated for x amount of gph so you match that with a pump that'll be the same (or stronger if you plan on installing a flow valve on the return)

And yes that is just a cfl in a reflector but some people will get actual refugium lights which depending on your plants will make the difference

Back
Top Bottom