Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looking for ideas! :)

I am new to saltwater! Currently working on a small nano reef. I have a 60g full of freshwater fish, plants, and sand.

The reef tank to this point makes me want to get out of freshwater. Lol. The tank has 2 Rena xP3 canister filters. I am considering Doing a predator tank.

We want a manju lion fish/puffer/eel? Or other idea is a puffer and a trigger of some sort.

Can I pull fish and plants out. Do a water change. Then just add salt directly to the tank. Let it cycle (raw shrimp style) with a few pieces of lave rock. Sand is silica pool filter sand.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I guess you could do that but it would probably be a better idea to start with 60 gallons of new water. If you were gonna do that id change half of it if not going to restart. I see your in las vegas you should check out Reptiles and reefs they have a lot of cool things. As for water wait for others to suggest as well.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, I love all the pet places out here. Growing up, I've owned a red foot Tortes, and a bearded dragon from them.

Yeah, I would do a 100% water change, declor, then add salt. I'm just wondering if the silica sand and lace rock would be ok. Also having the Rena's and no sump.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

rather than adding salt direct to tank I would pre mix first
As for those canisters they'll be more a head ack than there worth
don't see why the sand and lace rock would cause any issues as long as long as it don't leach out ,
Old 05-06-2012, 10:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed
rather than adding salt direct to tank I would pre mix first
As for those canisters they'll be more a head ack than there worth
don't see why the sand and lace rock would cause any issues as long as long as it don't leach out ,
Yeah, I was hoping to just use the filters because they are already there. As for the saltwater, I can mix it out of the tank. But is their a huge difference from mixing it in a bucket and poring it in? Or just doing it in the tank the first time as their is no fish in it at all? The lace rock is base and the silica sand is inert.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:49 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Its ok to mix salt if you have no inhabitants or no saltwater beneficial bacteria. People tend not to clean out canisters (if its hooked up to their system) on a regular basis because it takes long to clean (should only take ~15 mins to rinse the pads). I hate cleaning out my canister every 1-2 weeks, which is why im switching to a sump. If you get establish enough live rocks, then its ok to ditch the canister.

For your tank, i suggest doing a solitary fish if you are doing a predator theme. Your chances of success is very high in this hobby with a solitary predator.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:25 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance
Its ok to mix salt if you have no inhabitants or no saltwater beneficial bacteria. People tend not to clean out canisters (if its hooked up to their system) on a regular basis because it takes long to clean (should only take ~15 mins to rinse the pads). I hate cleaning out my canister every 1-2 weeks, which is why im switching to a sump. If you get establish enough live rocks, then its ok to ditch the canister.

For your tank, i suggest doing a solitary fish if you are doing a predator theme. Your chances of success is very high in this hobby with a solitary predator.
Any ideas on the pred? My wife seems interested in the smaller lion fish. I don't mind a solitary fish. Actually, I am excited for the learning process.

I was thinking I would put live rock rubble in the filter. I don't mind cleaning them. Rena's are easy to work with IMO. I normally alternate on the cleaning so I can maintain good BB.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Puffers are very smart . Lion fish just scare me because they are quite poisonous. A lion might also outgrow that tank but I'm not sure others might know.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Lions are my fav. Very hardy. A good starter fish. If that can't eat another fish in one bit they will not mess with it. So a small lion likea fu manchu (sorry of spelled wrong). Is a very compatible pred.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumis
Lions are my fav. Very hardy. A good starter fish. If that can't eat another fish in one bit they will not mess with it. So a small lion likea fu manchu (sorry of spelled wrong). Is a very compatible pred.
I do like this lion, I read they only get 4-5 inchs. Pricy too, it's 125$ here at my lfs. But you pay for the special guys! I am thinking one of these, and an eel. Maybe, and I truly mean maybe, a dwarf puffer, bigger than the lions mouth lol.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com