Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-24-2005, 12:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Looking to add some interesting additions to my FOWLR 450g

Hi all,

I have a 450g FOWLR that I am planning to stock with some of the species that normally can't be put in a coral setting. However, I feel like I will want more than just LR in this tank. I want to add some other interesting things that can grow on the rock, etc. Obviously my main concern will be the aggressiveness of some of the species I am planning on.

Any ideas on how I can make this tank more interesting?

Thanks,
Pete R.

1x Dolphin AS2100
1x Dolphin AM4700
72" Aqualight Pro: 4x96 Actinic, 3x150 HQI Halides, 4x1 moonlights
AquaC EV-1000 Protein Skimmer run by Dolphin AS2100
AquaUV 114 watt UV Sterilizer
2x Jager 250w
...Work in progess.....
peterac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 04:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Any ideas on how I can make this tank more interesting?
It might help to know which species and size you have as of now
Buddy ><{{{{">
Old 03-28-2005, 11:11 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have only one medium sized Yellow Tang and a few Green Chromis. I have 380 lbs. of LR as well. That's it so far....

I am planning on some speicies such as a Picasso Trigger, Snowflake Eel, Angels. As I mentioned I am no planning on making this a reef tank.

I also want to consider putting some inverts in here as well, but I do not think that will be possible with some of the species I will be housing.

Thanks,
Peter R.

1x Dolphin AS2100
1x Dolphin AM4700
72" Aqualight Pro: 4x96 Actinic, 3x150 HQI Halides, 4x1 moonlights
AquaC EV-1000 Protein Skimmer run by Dolphin AS2100
AquaUV 114 watt UV Sterilizer
2x Jager 250w
...Work in progess.....
peterac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 12:13 PM   #4

Quote:
I am planning on some speicies such as a Picasso Trigger, Snowflake Eel, Angels
Indeed you have a nice size aquarium, but yet you still need to follow some guild lines in what you choose to stock with. Like all triggers even those who aren`t as aggressive would simply out from borden decide in acting one its tank mates and would do this in a slow manner like. Even Niger Triggers had done this and yes, only whenh they grown to a larger size. Also if you to attempt housing any eel with triggers, best it be one that has a bit more in aggression other then a SF. Also triggers can make most eels look silly as they attack and bite and back away again, then do it all over again. In which if so much damage is caused to the eel, they can die after becoming stress out.
My experiences with Eels comes from housing them for somewhat more then 45 years and only in my beginning years did i housed any triggers with one. Yes, you would fine that you can be some what or more successful in housung this mix of spieces and thern you still need to take into account that no matter what size aquarium one has, there be no escape route.
And the idea of an angelfish, you have a good size tank and even there you still need to follow some guild lines. First best thing before getting any large angelfish, you need to have your aquarium well age and look in best to manage the growth of sponge, this would ensure the success of housing a large angelfish and it best that you also become more knowledgible in garlic treatments if you wish to keep such a fish long term.
You will hear soon from those who have or had any large angelfishes in time and know that you will also hear much differences in opinions. Like pros can tell you, it can become all a sudden less succesful in housing a large angelfish and water quailty becomes a huge factor in their needs. And you might or will find it rather difficult even in your tank in housing any pair of angelfishes or mixer for that matter. But not misunderstand me here, for any number of hobbyist had or is quite successful in doing it.

Quote:
I also want to consider putting some inverts in here as well, but I do not think that will be possible with some of the species I will be housing
Indeed it not be possible for with such larger marine species you would need to be sure that the corals are well secured for they can become knock over and then again you have to be able to manage only hard corals in which means you would need about no less then $4,000 in MH (It is only a figure of amount that it could run you) for on my 240 gal reef tank, I four MH at a cost of $2,300.
Now maybe you might stick it with a F/O tank and if so i have a question, do you have a canopy on this tank? also with eels, they escape from time to time and you would need to have in place some secured methods for keeping your fish like triggers and eels from jumping out as well as wrasses. And sense you may not be having any corals, why not a puffer, you can go with one that not grows as large like the Golden puffer (yellow phase).
Like i have Eels in all my tanks, and i have secured methods in place as well. Like my twin eel tanks, they are duct taped across the back the tanks top plastic strip and i secure that the overflow box not have so open space over it for this is one the reasons for juvenile moray escaping into your sump. So if you still may have any questions, im all ears (eyes). And what PH buffer are you using? For many have phosphates.
Buddy ><{{{{">

Tags
fowlr, sting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com