Looks like rust on my rocks and sand...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

denwhite16

Aquarium Advice Activist
Question for the experts...
Is this something I should be worried about? And if it is what should I do?

Is the dark pink looking stuff in the last picture Coraline Algae or is it the return of my Red Slime issue?

Attachments

• IMAG0753.jpg
    IMAG0753.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 420
  • IMAG0752.jpg
    IMAG0752.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 519
  • IMAG0754.jpg
    IMAG0754.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 267
  • IMAG0755.jpg
    IMAG0755.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 307
No expert here but, since this looks to be a brand new tank I would say that the "Rust" looking stuff is Diatom which every new tank goes through. Don't do anything about it. It feeds off of silicates and as soon as it consumes all the silicates it will die off. The pink I am not sure of but I think it is the beginnings of coralline. But don't trust me on that one. :)

My tank has been running for over a year, although I put a majority of that rock (just base rock) into the tank a few months ago. I had a few smaller pieces of LR in a few months before that.

My tank is just clearing from the same stuff. Pretty sure it is diatom algae. My clean up crew is getting most oof it and to my understanding it will eventually go away when the silicate sources in the tank are depleated. Probably the rock a few months ago gave the fuel but that doesn't mean it is bad rock. It should run its course, mine has.

It may be my computer but it looks more red than what my diatoms were.

It looks like diatoms. How long after adding rock would they show up though?

Will view just go away on their own, or should I get some snails? I got a CUC from reef cleaners, but I think most of them gave died...could the old shells be causing it?

Back
Top Bottom