Lost 3 fish in just over a week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fcastrofilippo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I lost 3 fish in just over a week. I need some advice. I will try and put as much info here as possible. Here is the story.

I am new to saltwater. I have a 75g with 60lbs of base rock and 20lbs of live rock. Have about 80lbs of pink Samoa sand (not live). In reading this forum I went with a fishless cycle. After 2 and half weeks my levels were all at 0. I monitored everyday with the expected spikes in ammonia and nitrites. I posted here and people said that this was not uncommon when using already cured live rock. So after a 50% water change and a few more days of testing I bought a Black clown and a Pajama cardinal. I did not QT them just put them in the main tank. Tested every few days and did a 15% water change once a week for a month. While the main tank was moving along nicely, I decided to set up a QT for my new additions. I had an aquaclear 30 unused so I set it up in my wetdry to establish the beneficial bacteria. I let this run without the carbon for 2 weeks. After the two week period I bought an orange spotted (diamond) goby. Drip acclimated him then put him in the QT. On the second day I found him outside the QT. He jumped. Bummer. The next day I bought a bullet goby (banded goby). Drip acclimated him; put him in the QT tank.

Back in the main tank all was going well but I had what I think was cyno bacteria growing on the live rock and sand. So I shut the lights, increased the flow and feed less. I also siphoned off as much as I could from the sand bed and rocks. Then on Friday of last week (3/20) my clown was in my overfill. I don’t know if he got sucked up or he made a precision jump. Anyway he was still alive but he looked cloudy. So I put him in the QT and moved my Bullet goby into the main tank. The goby was in the QT for about 5 days. I had to go to work so I was hoping on treating the clown when I got home. Too late. He died. Very sad. Kids are heartbroken. Goby seems to be doing fine. Actually eating the sand. Quite fun to watch. Sunday morning, goby in the overfill. Dead. Again precision jump or just getting sucked up.

I am very upset. I thought I was doing everything right. I was keeping up on my water changes I was testing. The main tank reading this morning were Temp 79.1, salinity 1.023, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, nitrate 10ppm PH 7.7. I do not know what to do. I want to get more fish but I do not want to kill anymore as well. The algae or cyno if it is that subsided but I think it is making a comeback. Please help.

Frank
:(:(:(

I am very upset. I thought I was doing everything right....

Sorry for your losses Frank. Personally, I think you ARE doing everything right. You've just had some bad luck with jumpers and that overflow. I'd have one less chromis if I wasn't standing right in front of my tank when it decided to jump. It landed on the partial glass top I have and laid there motionless. I quickly pushed it back in the water and it was never any worse for wear. After nearly two years, it's still alive and kicking. Sometimes you get lucky... sometimes you don't.

It sounds like your overflow could use a bit more protection or guarding. I don't have one on my tank, so I'm not much help there. But I'm sure others will pipe up soon with some ideas/questions. If you can post a picture of your overflow setup, that might help things along.

I would find a way to pump up your PH. Readings for PH should be between 8.2 to 8.4.

I have to agree, I think you ARE doing everything right. maybe just leave it all alone, let it be. and get a LID or tank cover !!! lol

I know how you feel though, my kids were pretty bummed when our snowflake eel got out. so sad.

I made an eggcrate top that only has enough open space for powerhead cords. There's very little vertical space between the eggcrate and overflow.

In your case, if need be, you could custom cut a piece of eggcrate that fits in the overflow and make sure your lid (whatever type) covers all.

Back
Top Bottom