Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-18-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Lost a fish, need advice.

Well the transfer didn't goes as well as planned. I lost a fish this morning (My foxface). I tested my water immediately and was dumbfounded to find everything exactly where it always is. I then noticed that my water temp had dropped to 70!!! I checked the heater and found it wasnt plugged in properly, ergo not on. Could the stress of a transfer and a drop of 10 degrees really cause this??? I'm scratchin my head on this one and am mad at myself for such a stupid mistake.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

OK I know i forgot so here are my numbers. Ammonia 0 Nitrites 0 Nitrates less than 20 ppm PH 8 Spec Gr 1.021.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How long was the transfer and how did you transfer everything? if theres another thread about that, a link would help
Old 04-19-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

The transfer occurred this weekend(sat). He died monday morning. The transfer went from the old tank into a 30 gal tub, the fish remained in the tub most of sat until the new tank was set up. Most of the cycled water was transfered to the new tank and new sand was usued. Hope this helps. I am guessing the shock of the transfer and the drop in temp were factors in losing him.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think it was the temp drop as well, 10* is quite a drop
Old 04-19-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How was the set up in the 30g tub for when the fish was in there? Just trying to figure out all of the problems that might have caused his death so that it can be prevented in the future.

Also, I think people recommend not using too much of the old SW when doing tank transfers. I dont know about it too much, but saw carey mention something about it when she did her transfer.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah, when I moved tanks I only brought a minimal amount of water and none of the sand.

I would think the stress of moving and the temperature were most likely the cause.

Sorry about your fish, that sucks. You did everything right but stuff just happens sometimes.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry405
How was the set up in the 30g tub for when the fish was in there? Just trying to figure out all of the problems that might have caused his death so that it can be prevented in the future.

Also, I think people recommend not using too much of the old SW when doing tank transfers. I dont know about it too much, but saw carey mention something about it when she did her transfer.
The tank was filled with original tank water and i put a fluval filter in there along with a heater. They remained there while i took down the old tank and put up the new. Given that the old was a 55 and the new was a 75 plus refug i probably put 20 gal (est) into the new tank. I keep thinkin it my failure to properly plug in that heater that was the biggie. Hopefully other will learn from my error. I know i did! Thanks for all the posts.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com