Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2005, 07:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Lost a Goby

Today I found my Yellow Watchman Goby in the tank no longer alive. He was only there for about 4 days but appeared healthy and active. He took food and acted normal. My wife blames the hermit crabs , mainly because she saw them trying to attack the goby. I have some black legged and scarlet legged crabs. Lately I have found a few pair of scarlet crab legs only in the tank, so something is attacking them but I'm not sure what. Any suggestions? Could the black legged crabs be the culprit? Any help would be appreciated.

New at this, but learning everyday.
65 gal saltwater
1 clown ; 1 orange spot goby ; Firefish ; Lawnmower Blenny ; Royal Gramma ; Yellow Watchman Goby ; 2 Electric Blue Hermit Crabs ; 6 Scarlet Leg Crabs ;
60lbs live rock
2 peppermint shrimp
40 gal FW Community Tank
2 neon tetras ; 1 zebra ; 2 catfish
Red Turq Discus
KenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 11:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Re: Lost a Goby

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenK
Lately I have found a few pair of scarlet crab legs only in the tank
I'm guessing that this may be a molt. A molt would look just like legs or sometimes even an entire crab (minus shell). It's spooky how much a molt looks like a live crab (or part of one). It's a normal part of their growth.

Old 03-25-2005, 09:56 AM   #3

Thank You! I didn't realize that they molted. Makes me feel a little bit better. I do not like violence in my tanks.

65 gal saltwater
1 clown ; 1 orange spot goby ; Firefish ; Lawnmower Blenny ; Royal Gramma ; Yellow Watchman Goby ; 2 Electric Blue Hermit Crabs ; 6 Scarlet Leg Crabs ;
60lbs live rock
2 peppermint shrimp
40 gal FW Community Tank
Red Turq Discus
Old 03-25-2005, 10:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
My wife blames the hermit crabs
Hermits will not ussually kill fish. they are cleaners, so they will begin to eat dead fish but it unlikely they will take down a healthy fish. The crab legs you found where most likely a molt. Everything else okay? Water parameters?
Old 03-25-2005, 10:36 AM   #5

All water parameters are fine. Zero's across the board with a SG of 1.021. The only problem might be the temp. It rose to 82 degrees. I tend to agree with the molt answer after finding out that they molt. Our peppermint shrimp have molted and the first was a bit of a shock until I realized what it was.

65 gal saltwater
60lbs live rock
2 peppermint shrimp
40 gal FW Community Tank
Red Turq Discus
Old 03-25-2005, 10:48 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Slow temp increase to 82 should not be too hard on the fish. How did you acclimate the goby?
Old 03-25-2005, 10:58 AM   #7

I drip acclimated it over a 3hour period.

65 gal saltwater
60lbs live rock
2 peppermint shrimp
40 gal FW Community Tank
Red Turq Discus

Tags
goby

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com