Lost a Goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KenK

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Today I found my Yellow Watchman Goby in the tank no longer alive. He was only there for about 4 days but appeared healthy and active. He took food and acted normal. My wife blames the hermit crabs , mainly because she saw them trying to attack the goby. I have some black legged and scarlet legged crabs. Lately I have found a few pair of scarlet crab legs only in the tank, so something is attacking them but I'm not sure what. Any suggestions? Could the black legged crabs be the culprit? Any help would be appreciated.

KenK said:
Lately I have found a few pair of scarlet crab legs only in the tank

I'm guessing that this may be a molt. A molt would look just like legs or sometimes even an entire crab (minus shell). It's spooky how much a molt looks like a live crab (or part of one). It's a normal part of their growth.

My wife blames the hermit crabs
Hermits will not ussually kill fish. they are cleaners, so they will begin to eat dead fish but it unlikely they will take down a healthy fish. The crab legs you found where most likely a molt. Everything else okay? Water parameters?

All water parameters are fine. Zero's across the board with a SG of 1.021. The only problem might be the temp. It rose to 82 degrees. I tend to agree with the molt answer after finding out that they molt. Our peppermint shrimp have molted and the first was a bit of a shock until I realized what it was.

Slow temp increase to 82 should not be too hard on the fish. How did you acclimate the goby?

Back
Top Bottom