Lost another fish, the Yellow Tang :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stratmaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
Lost the Yellow Tang... I came home from work and he was sitting in the bottom not breathing :(

Now I'm really sad, I only have the Hippo Tang left and I don't want him to die! I honestly am clueless as even what to do with this aquarium now. The water quality must not be the issue, there's got to be something else. What am I gonna do?

Steve

Wow sorry to hear that. I hope you figure out what it is and get it fixed :(

Did you put them in the QT yet? If not, do it and start HYPO treatment, you need to get rid of the ich or you are going to lose your Hippo. You need to keep him in QT for 4 to 6 weeks and leave the DT void of fish for the same amount of time so the lifecycle of the ich ends and they die off. By keeping fish in the DT you're giving the Ich a means of propagating. Listen, by the time i realized my caribbean had ich it was too late, he died the next day at which time I ran out and got everything needed for a QT and took all of my fish out of the tank put them in QT and started Hypo treatment (2 Weeks ago). Since then all of the ich is gone and the fish are doing fantastic in the 20 Gal QT, I still have another 3 weeks to go which is all good because the fish are very healthy and happy and the ICH in DT should be gone by then.

Last edited:
I agree with Keith 100%. The majority of ppl get a new fish and put in right in the display without any QT. Now you are seeing the ramifications.
It's probably been 15 yrs since I added a fish without QT first. All it took was 1 incident that wiped out my fish and I learned my lesson.

Problem is I am scared the hippo will die in the QT because of the ammonia spiking and going high because it's not cycled. in fact I just set the QT up two days ago and already the ammonia is waayyy up there, so If I put the hippo in the QT without being cycled with ammonia in the water, won't the hippo die anyway? So I don't know. You think that's what's killing all my fish? Ick? Aside from the injury the wrasse had anyway and the slight ammonia spike? Maybe a combination of them all?
I did dose the main tank with melafix and pimafix, I've had good results in the past with these products. Its time I start going with my experience and gut feeling instead of going crying to other people :p
if I can move the hippo over to the QT and treat him for ick then I should be good, IF he makes which in IMO it's the late. Odds are I'll just ending losing him which would make me feel so bad because that's the entire tank dead. :(

steve

You are going to have to keep on top of the QT with very frequent water changes to keep the parameters in check. If you don't do anything the fish will surely die.
My QT isn't cycled either and have been doing 50% water changes every other day with no problems.

Regardless of how this works out, get yourself a small sponge/HOB filter and leave it running in the sump. When you need a QT/hospital tank you'll have a bacteria source available for your QT/hospital tank.

Use this experience as a learning lesson for going forward.

You still need to address that copper you added to the display as well.

hang in there

Regardless of how this works out, get yourself a small sponge/HOB filter and leave it running in the sump. When you need a QT/hospital tank you'll have a bacteria source available for your QT/hospital tank.

Use this experience as a learning lesson for going forward.

Agree with this 100%

You still need to address that copper you added to the display as well.

CaptainAhab... I think you're confusing this thread with another. I don't think the original poster has put copper in the DT.

Problem is I am scared the hippo will die in the QT because of the ammonia spiking and going high because it's not cycled. in fact I just set the QT up two days ago and already the ammonia is waayyy up there, so If I put the hippo in the QT without being cycled with ammonia in the water, won't the hippo die anyway? So I don't know. You think that's what's killing all my fish? Ick? Aside from the injury the wrasse had anyway and the slight ammonia spike? Maybe a combination of them all?
I did dose the main tank with melafix and pimafix, I've had good results in the past with these products. Its time I start going with my experience and gut feeling instead of going crying to other people :p
if I can move the hippo over to the QT and treat him for ick then I should be good, IF he makes which in IMO it's the late. Odds are I'll just ending losing him which would make me feel so bad because that's the entire tank dead. :(

steve

Might have been because he read the bolded part; I'm not sure if they contain copper or not, but i'm never a fan of when things read "Ingredients: inert"

I have a 30 gallon tank going with an emperor 400 hob filter going. It will be a permant setup for QT fish from now on before they go into the Main tank. However right now I am just so afraid of moving him, I am so afraid of not being on top of water quality in the QT and having the hippo die.

Steve

Oh heck no I didn't put copper in DT, lol I just got 130 pounds of live rock not that long ago and well I want it to live lol.

Steve

I think it was a typo.. and meant to say ich. Ich is a parasite that plagues fish. Bad one too, but fairly easy to get rid of. Unless you thought it was something else..

Back
Top Bottom