Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-17-2007, 11:19 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I think I read somewhere that it may be better to have two smaller heaters rather than one larger because the two tend to heat more equally.... is that true and a good idea?
This is a very good idea. It will give you some wiggle room should one heater malfunction.
YOu can certainly add the LR in the begining. It will help cycle your tank a bit faster. In a new tank like tank like this, the addition of fully cured LR may just be enough. I also reccommend getting a couple cups of substrate from one of the stores established tanks to help seed the new substrate.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:10 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm sooo close to knowing everything that I need/want. The stock list seems set for the most part and I'm down to my last few things.

I'm looking up tank sizes from
http://www.alysta.com/books/fishtank.htm
and am wondering

I want a 45g tank, should I get a...
45 gallon: 36 1/4 x 12 5/8 x 23 3/4
or a
45 gallon long: 48 1/4 x 12 3/4 x 19

I read that the more surface area the more gas exchange can take place. So then the 36" long one would be a better bet?

Once I know the final tank dimensions I can get a hood and get cracking!

Oh, another question since I'm such a pain
I keep reading posts about florescent and actinic lights and how you should run the actinic before and after the normal white florescent. For that type of set up do I need two light bars to run the two lights, then perhaps fill the tank out with a glass canopy/wood canopy?

Old 12-17-2007, 01:36 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
As long as you have decent surface ripple, the difference in those dimensions won't really affect your surface area/O2 exchange. One thing that will is the hood you are thinking about putting on. Neither my 55 or my 125 have hoods. Egg crate is good stuff and will keep your jumpers from jumping.
As for lighting, it is a personal preference. I used to have them come on at different times but a few power outagges and I just set them up to all come on at the same time.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:50 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

hmmm, it seems like a 50 gallon is my best bet. I have a table that will fit this aquarium perfectly and the 50 gallon dimensions match right up.

problem is, I haven't seen anyone ever talk about a 50 gallon tank, is there something inherently wrong with them? Is it not common enough and because of that I won't be able to find a light bar/lid? Does the more cubic shape mess with flow or anything else?
Old 12-18-2007, 01:07 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
The footprint on a 50G is much better than a 55. The 55 is kind of narrow whereas the 50 has a wider base, much easier to aquascape.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:09 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

ut oh, I purchased my tank today! 50 gallons! I'm on my way!!!
Old 12-20-2007, 11:23 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Great news...you are now out of the gate!
Old 12-21-2007, 12:27 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Bah, thats old news now. I've purchase my light bar, filter, power filter, skimmer, heaters, power heads.... I've got it all!!!

I'll have pics when I get everything up and running.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com