LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike3epanda

Aquarium Advice Freak
i'm thinking of getting just base rock (live) instead of using live rock for now, is that ok for the cycle? or do I still need regular LR

thanks

You can use base rock for your cycle and add LR as you find pieces at youur LFS that you like. Right now you are simply working on getting colonies of beneficial bacteria (they will grow in/on your rock and sand) so base it fine. You will need some LR to introduce the coraline algae.

Dry rock are generally considered base rock.

As Scott said dry rock is base rock. I would maybe consider getting a few pieces of LR to go in the tank. This will help with coraline algea and benficial critters that will help as filter feeders in your tank.

if a new tank and you use all base rock you will need to kick start the cycle with a dead shrimp form the supermarket..
you say base rock (live) whats that?

it means getting a base rock that has corraline, critters, and etc living in it... basically live rock ( i just figured), anyways... i guess im just gonna get the dry rocks and get a few live rocks with it for the pink algae to grow.

Back
Top Bottom