Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2007, 05:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to robertfah
LR question

I've got about 50+ pounds of dead rock that I used to keep in my tank. To clean it, I would bleach it clean, then let it sit in water for about a week to get the bleach out and put it back in my tank. This worked great. My question is now that I have a 155g tank and looking to put LR in it, can I use the dead rock in conjunction with LR and will it turn into LR eventually?

I've got about 40+ pounds of LR in my tank now and approx. 200lbs of LS. My water parameters are great except for my calcium which is low at 310, but I currently do not dose. I will start dosing once I order this week from Foster & Smith.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:37 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertfah
can I use the dead rock in conjunction with LR and will it turn into LR eventually?
Yes, the dead rock will begin to host the nitrifying bacteria. THe coraline will also spread to is, as well.
Quote:
my calcium which is low at 310, but I currently do not dose. I will start dosing once I order this week from Foster & Smith.
Regular PWCs should help replenish your Ca. Remember to get a Ca. test kit, so you don't overdose your tank.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:01 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

As Scott said your Base rock will turn into LR over time. One thing I wanted to stress though if you bleach something you need to let it completely air dry. Putting it back in water will allow some of the bleach to stay in the rock in areas of poor access for the water. If it drys then the clorine bleach will disapate and be gone. If you are going to treat in water as you say then I would add dechlorinator.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58
As Scott said your Base rock will turn into LR over time. One thing I wanted to stress though if you bleach something you need to let it completely air dry. Putting it back in water will allow some of the bleach to stay in the rock in areas of poor access for the water. If it drys then the clorine bleach will disapate and be gone. If you are going to treat in water as you say then I would add dechlorinator.
Yes, I failed to mention that, but I do use a dechlorinator and I do let it air dry for 2-3 days as well.

Thanks for the tips, it's nice to know I'll be able to salvage most of my old stuff and put it to good use!
Old 01-22-2007, 10:03 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:

Thanks for the tips, it's nice to know I'll be able to salvage most of my old stuff and put it to good use!
Yes that is good to know. I hope all goes well.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 01-23-2007, 04:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm not so sure I see the need to use bleach. I've always just left the rock to air out of any water, turning it onto different sides each day or so to get any stale water out of holes.

melosu58 and roka64 seems fine with it so it's probably OK.. but I certainly don't like putting chemicals on anything that will go into the tank.

If you want to kill whatever is on there you should be able to make salt water with a super super high salinity then dry it out. Seems a bit more natural to me.
flanque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:09 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanque
I'm not so sure I see the need to use bleach. I've always just left the rock to air out of any water, turning it onto different sides each day or so to get any stale water out of holes.
I agree as I would not use bleach on rock. I was just answering as to what the OP was doing. The only thing I have ever used bleach on is my tanks to clean them before I use it. Something pourus like Rock I would personally not use bleach on. Just let it air dry.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 01-24-2007, 07:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanque
I agree as I would not use bleach on rock. I was just answering as to what the OP was doing. The only thing I have ever used bleach on is my tanks to clean them before I use it. Something pourus like Rock I would personally not use bleach on. Just let it air dry.
Ok, let me rephrase that.....I use 1/2 cup of bleach to about 60g of water and let the coral sit in the mix for about 2 days. Then I drail it, fill another container with 40g of fresh water with dechlorniator in it and let the rock sit for another 2-3 days. Finally, I drain that and let the rock air dry for as long as needed before putting back in my tank.

The rock has been sitting dry for about 4 months (since I got my LR I haven't used any of the old stuff) so I know it's completly dried out and should be ready to go. I won't be using that technique anymore seeing as how it'l all be live eventually.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:53 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
I won't be using that technique anymore seeing as how it'l all be live eventually.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 01-25-2007, 10:30 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Cool! Good luck!
You could also boil the rock, but 4 months in the open air should do the trick.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com