Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-23-2004, 01:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
LR Seeding question

I recently purchased 11.5 lbs of LR. I was wondering how many people have had good luck with buying base rock and seeding it from LR in the same tank? Also how long does it take? I figured I would buy like 20 lbs of LR and then put another 50 lbs of base rock in the same tank (which by the way is a 125 gallon).
Thanks

Old 01-23-2004, 07:24 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I have done it, took about 6 months to get good coraline growth on the base rock, aside from pods and worms, I never noticed any migration of any hithiker corals etc...that could take years, if conditions are right for them to spawn.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 04:35 PM   #3
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
I have about 60 Lbs. of LR and about 120Lbs of base. It is slowlyu getting some propogation of coralline algae (green and purple) but no signs of invertebrate migration yet. My tank is up for about 5 months now. It happens slowly but the cost makes it well worth it. I am now for example seeing a proliferation of feather duster worms on the LR. All babies but it seems that there are new things growing as time goes by. I have also noticed "spaghetti" worms on the LR. HTH

Me
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 10:16 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Another question to the first one. I was told that the time frame usually takes 4-6 months as Sam above described. However does the lightening depend on if the seeding takes place or not? I have a 10K bulb as well as an Atinic bulb. Will this be enough to seed base rock?? Right now I have about 11.5 lbs of LR and looking to buy more for my 125 gallon FOWLR tank.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:53 PM   #5
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Proper lighting will definitely make a difference. I had 2 48" VHO 50/50 Actinic White (220W) for my 135G. Did not know that I would want more than a FOWLR at the time (mistake). Anyway, a few months later to now, I just upgraded to two 175W MH and two 48" super Actinic VHO. This is what I think you have. Good balance of lighting spectrum. The coralline algae will definitely thrive well in the Actinic , though they do well with a wide variety of lighting, as long as calcium levels are adequate. HTH 8)

Me
Old 01-29-2004, 10:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

These comments lead to another question.....how long is it before you start seeing things coming out of the LR? I have only had mine in the tank for about 1 week so Im impatient. I know it takes a while but not sure.....weeks, months? The rock wasnt completely cured when I bought it but my tank was very new too so I just threw it in the tank and let it help the cycle.
thanks everyone!
Old 01-30-2004, 01:17 PM   #7
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

That really depends on how "cured" the rock was when you got it, how it was harvested etc. In my case, I have a bunch of baby feather dusters, spaghetti worms, some barnacles, nice coralline algae, worms of all kinds and other things that started to show up about 4 months after the tank was started. I think it will have to do with the maturing of your tank that will promote the growth of these organisms. Plus you may see other inverts, corals, sponges etc. That is part of what makes it exciting, I spend time every evening looking for new things that are growing. Just be patient and it will happen. HTH 8)

Me
Old 02-03-2004, 02:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do I need to do anything special other than keep the tank levels in line at all times? I also add Essential Elements to the tank about 1 time per week as I use a skimmer which I heard takes not only the bad elements out of the tank, but also valuable nutrients. I want to promote the LR creatures to live if indeed there is anything to live...
Thanks

Tags
seed, seeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com