Macro algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woody390

Aquarium Advice Addict
The cheato that I keep trying to grow in my sump seems to keep dieing on me, does anyone know if too much light can be bad for chaeto as I have a light quite close to it and on 24/7

How long has the tank been set up and how long has the chaeto been in there? I have a 6500k CFL twist bulb in a shop light about 5" off my fuge lit 24/7 and it's growing like a champ. I also flip mine over every 4-5 days as well.

Sometimes it just doesn't grow. You don't need the light on 24/7 by the way....that's just for caulerpa.
There was a power outage at a tank I used to maintain. It was out for 14 hours- long enough to kill most of the fish and all inverts. After the tank recovered, and was re-cycled, chaeto never grew again, no matter what light or flow. This tank produced massive amounts of chaeto before this.
The tank flourishes now, but I had to use razor caulerpa in the fuge.
I have no idea why this happens.
My tank is having trouble growing chaeto also. It's slowly breaking into pieces and disappearing.

Last edited:
Sometimes it just doesn't grow. You don't need the light on 24/7 by the way....that's just for caulerpa.
There was a power outage at a tank I used to maintain. It was out for 14 hours- long enough to kill most of the fish and all inverts. After the tank recovered, and was re-cycled, chaeto never grew again, no matter what light or flow. This tank produced massive amounts of chaeto before this.
The tank flourishes now, but I had to use razor caulerpa in the fuge.
I have no idea why this happens.
My tank is having trouble growing chaeto also. It's slowly breaking into pieces and disappearing.

That is odd! I've heard of chaeto not growing in some tanks, but weird that it grew great and then not at all after a problem like that. I always just figured it was a nutrient poor environment if it just wouldn't grow at all. You always seem to teach me something new Mr. X, and for that I thank you. Keeps me coming back! :)

Yeah I know I don't but don't have room to fit the timer I bought in the plug socket so just leave it on lol. Yeah just seems weird so thought I'd ask if it could be nutrients or light or anything but thanks both

Back
Top Bottom