Macro algae/copepods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JumperAlex

Aquarium Advice Freak
I would like to try housing a bristle tooth tang in my 90g tank. But before I do I would like to make sure that it as well as my foxface will have enough food. As of now my foxface is doing really well but I would like to give him more. I have been reading a little bit about Ogo algae and copepods/amphipods, most of what I have read says that I need a refugium in order to use them. I have only seen a few things that have said you do not need one. Can anyone help me sort this out? I would like to help my fish out but don't have the room in my sump/stand to add a refugium.

Tangs and foxfaces are herbivores. Growing live macroalgae/marine plants in the display would be a fast tasty treat for them. The refugium is a refuge for pods and the macroalgae to populate and not be eaten right away. You can have a hang on the back refugium, but those are small and expensive for how little they are. If you're not going to build a sump though, that seems like the main option for you. Some people put a box in their DT and make refugium in there, but it can be unattractive.

Here is a picture of my sump. Is there anyway I would've able to work something out with what I've got?

image-3025468147.jpg

Doesn't look like much room, but if there is any room you could have a little plastic bin with sand. It's won't be the best though. Also a $10 reflector and CFL light from home depot works fine.

Hmm, I may try that. What would happen if I tried to put with of them directly into my DT? They don't seem too expensive so even if they got eaten quickly I would be okay with it if it were going to help my fish.

Are you talking about the pods or macroalgae? Most fish don't eat copepods I think, at least it's not their main source of food except for mandarins, seahorses, pipefish, etc. With macro algae, if in the tank, it would probably be eaten fast and if it wasn't the lighting in your DT might not be the best as they like around 6500K unlike most corals.

Why not just use Nori on a clip. Thats what most do for tangs, angels, etc. Tangs will naturally scrape everything in the tank including rocks, glass, and powerheads. Adding nori to a clip is just a way of supplimenting. I have three tangs and a wrasse that eat about 1/2 sheet a day, and some bangaii's that hang around the clip to get anything that gets away.

Back
Top Bottom