Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2005, 08:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Maintaining an established FOWLR , wondering about water

Newbie here! Just purchased an established 75G SW tank and had it moved into our home last night, water and all. Previous owner was helpful but I may not have asked the right questions. I am confident that the water we got from him is in great condition so I don't want to mess it up. I will try to keep this simple. For now I understand in a month we should change out 25% water. At what point do I need to test the water if it came already balanced? He gave me a test kit in liquid forms and I see some paper test strips in there for freshwater as well. He knows his stuff so I assumed those work for saltwater ph testing as well?

Do I test before the water change, after or both?
I read somewhere that flakefood isn't adequate for 100% feedings, should I try some shrimp? (there are two clownfish, one angelfish and one dart)

Last question - I see a large snail on the liverock. While we enjoy watching him, is he harmful to the rock or beneficial?

I appreciate a helping hand!

Old 03-16-2005, 08:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi, welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
You have found the best place on the net for great and friendly aquarium advice.
Quote:
At what point do I need to test the water if it came already balanced?
Moving the tank will most likely throw things off a bit. I would start testing now. I am ot a fan of those "dip stick" test strips. you can find something that is a bit more accurate. Get a drop test for Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, Ph.
Quote:
Do I test before the water change, after or both?
Both is fine for now. I would also consider using a high quality RO/DI water for top-offs and changes instead of tap water.
Quote:
read somewhere that flakefood isn't adequate for 100% feedings,
variety is the key. What livestock are you feeding? That will make a difference.
Quote:
I see a large snail on the liverock. While we enjoy watching him, is he harmful to the rock or beneficial?
Snails are your tank's cleaning system. Keep it!
Quote:
I appreciate a helping hand!
Stick around...we are just getting started.
I suggest your next purchase be a good book on SW tanks. I like "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. It is a great book and I am sure you will find it helpful...Lando

Old 03-17-2005, 08:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hello Lando - thank you for your tips! I tried to test today but the testkit I received is missing vials so I have to get some tomorrow and try again.

You gave some very detailed advice on feeding to "Aquafreek" in a forum that posted after mine. Could I apply those foods you listed to my fish - clowns, blue/yellow angel and a dartfish. fourmyclowns
Old 03-17-2005, 09:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The foods will work fine. Your angle might like the nori sheets. Like I said there, hte key is variety and supplimenting the food with vitachem and selcon. Should keep your fish happy and healthy.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for a speedy reply! I made a shopping list for tomorrow. I think that book you mentioned was one I looked at before. I'll pick it up. I do have some dried seaweed. I'll give them some tonight.

Tags
fowlr, maintain

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com