Major algae outbreak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nooboftanks

Aquarium Advice Regular
I’m currently in the cycling stage of my 36gallon biocube with 40 pounds of live rock, I came home from work today to see the glass covered in Algae and the sand in yellow any suggestions on what to do since the tank is growing mass algae without any fish in there to produce waste also my light is a galaxyhydro that was around 100 dollars and very capable of growing corals so perhaps that’s contributing to it IMG_1515450667.247669.jpgIMG_1515450696.014945.jpg

Looks like diatoms to me which is part of the cycling process. They are eating silicones and will be around for a couple days or so before they go away. Looks like the cycle is progressing just fine.

no need to be running your lights during your cycle period
what are you using for a ammonia source during your cycle

no need to be running your lights during your cycle period
what are you using for a ammonia source during your cycle

Well the live rock I purchased has some corals on it that are opening up quite well with the light so i thought I would keep it on also I have 1 damsel in there to help produce ammonia to cycle tank he is doing great very healthy

Just for clarification... I thought your original post said you had no fish in there? If your tank hasn’t fully cycled it can kill the fish when the ammonia spikes

So how did cycle turn out. Did you turn lights off after someone told you too. And where are you at in terms of adding fish.

So how did cycle turn out. Did you turn lights off after someone told you too. And where are you at in terms of adding fish.

Thanks for checking in! It’s going great everything cleared up the algae water is pristine I currently have 2 Mai tai clowns along with 10 Mexican turbo slugs I just added my first coral which isn’t going to well but I made another post on that....I’ve been looking into stocking some other reef friendly inhabitants haven’t found any yet though

Just for clarification... I thought your original post said you had no fish in there? If your tank hasn’t fully cycled it can kill the fish when the ammonia spikes

Yea that damsel died Rippppp my tanks all good now tho

Back
Top Bottom