Major algea problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thekeyofb

Aquarium Advice Regular
I don't mean to hijack your post jonzo1, but I have a major algae problem as well. I have a 75 gallon tank with 288 watts of lighting. I run my lights 8 hours a day. My salinity is 1.025, my nitrates and nitrites are near 0ppm, my phosphates are at or below 0.03, I have a protein skimmer on this system as well. I also have phosguard inside a module that the return line is attached to. So, does anyone have any idea as to why I have such a big algea problem?

I moved this to it`s own thread so we dont have to be talking to two people in the same thread. As far as algea I would like to know how old are your bulbs. As they get older the spectrum shifts causing algea to flourish. Also read this battle plan for nuisance algea.

Have you tested a batch of your PWC water to make sure you are not adding anything yourself.

i have tested my water in the aquarium and the water coming from my house. my home water is filtered by RO unit....and test are on point

green hair algae I believe...."green in color, and stringy looking"...however, at it's peak in the outbreak, i was also seeing red algae in color. so, i believe that i have red slime and green hair combo.

i have tested my water in the aquarium and the water coming from my house. my home water is filtered by RO unit....and test are on point

I`m talking about making up a batch of SW and testing it before you add fow PWC water. That way we can rule that out.

Ok...what I have done is make up a batch of water in a 5 gallon bucket, I added my salt mix, pH buffer and prime to the water. I placed a heater in the water to bring the temperature to a matching point of that of the actual tank. After that process, I tested the water's salinity, pH, etc......everything was great. The only time I seem to get these outbreaks, is when I run my lights. However, I know there has to be nutrients present in order for the algae to grow, but they are below the required levels. So, why am I still having this problem...?

There remains the possibility that your nitrate and phosphate are low (or 0) because your algae is consuming it.

That`s why I say test your PWC water because you might be adding the nutrients and your algea is consuming it as the captain said.

Yea I should have known u were getting there.. Long cold day up here in NFL Championship land :)

Did you guys read my last post. I did test the PWC water. I did that earlier. There are no added nutrients present.

Back
Top Bottom