Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-03-2011, 01:43 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I use a plastic pail I bought at the dollar store, can mix up 2 gallons at a time. Why? Do you think that has something to do with the cyano?

Old 05-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

So I have been doing lots of reading on this. I have been going through same thing. I have 2 fish in a 50g system and I was starving my fish. Feeding 1 time a week and things just got worse. So then I treated for cyano. Then I was given the gift of dinoflagellats. I got this because cyano was gone but nutirents were not.

Does your bucket contain anything like anti-mildew or anti-fungal? You dont know. So, on another forum, someone contacted rubbermaid and they said rubbermaid does not contain these products but are known to leach PHOSPHATES.

So, My problems started with a new water change container. Now container is 8 months old and my tank finally seems to be clearing up. I didnt change anything. Except the age of my container.

Basically, they said that over time the resin used will eventually leach all phoshates out. Then it will be fine. Funny thing is, I found same info on 10 or so other forums. Google, how to get rid of dinoflagellates.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:01 PM   #23

That is pretty interesting, will have to do some reading. Thanks for the tip!!!
Old 05-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #24

Just a quick update, it seems that I might have the cyano on the run. I've just kept up with my weekly water changes and removed some of the crushed coral where the stringy slime was really clinging. Of course I always scrub the sides of the tank too to remove the few spots that it seems to like. Looks like it's not really coming back so far, but it's only been since Saturday.

Water params were the same as the last test, ammonia 0.0, nitrates 5.0, phosphates 0.0, ph was down to 7.8, calcium up to 440. All the corals and my one little fishy are happy and living the good life.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

How are things? If still have issue, test mg. I have been trying to figure this problem out.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bige View Post
How are things? If still have issue, test mg. I have been trying to figure this problem out.
Well, I haven't eliminated the growth, but it certainly is not regenerating itself as quickly. Just gonna keep to my weekly 15-20% water changes and pull the surface pieces of crushed coral that have the clingy threads and brush off the very few rock areas that still are getting a little growth.

I have to try to remember that my tank is only a little more than 2 months old now, so it's got a lot of maturing to do and I think that will help take it to a more stable place.

Tags
outbreak, red slime, slime

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com