Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-15-2011, 08:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Major red slime outbreak

I have a 55 gallon that has a major red slime algae outbreak that I have been fighting for a few weeks now. We tried keeping the lights off for a week and it came back. I started the tank with tap water(rookie mistake, I know now) and have done water changes of 30 gallons of ro water so far. I haven't seen any improvement with this either. I only have 2 damsels in the tank now cause I'm scared to put anything else in. Has anyone had a similar problem and if so how did you fix it? Thanks in advance, Jeff from the mile high city.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What type of CUC do you have?

Old 04-16-2011, 01:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

CUC won't help as nothing will eat it. I used this red slime remover and it worked great. I also didn't have enough flow in my tank this could be your problem as well. Also, excess nutrients, how much are you feeding/ how often. Continue your water changes as well.

This particular red slime remover will lower your oxygen level in the tank. So if you use it be sure you have good surface agitation for gas exchange.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2011, 02:38 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kind of water flow do you have? I have found the higher flow helped take care of the cyanobacteria I had in my tank. What type of filter system are you using? If you can put some ploy filter material to catch it as it passes through and changing it often will help as well.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the advice. I was using a powerhead I inherited from a previous owner. Not exactly sure what kind it was but has 1140 stamped on the top of it. On Wednesday I got a hydor koralia 750 gph circulation pump. As for a filter I just have a 10 gallon sump with bio balls and 5 lbs of lr. Cuc I just have 3 nasorous snails (probable not spelling that right) and 3 medium hermit crabs. I plan on getting a protein skimmer in the near future. is this enough to keep the tank healthy?
Old 04-16-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

The bio balls may be holding in a lot of the cyano and causing to to get a stronger foot hold in your tank. To keep the good bacteria on your bio balls rinse them well in your water that you got out for your PWC.

I don't know if you have a sock for your sump or not to catch the gunk that you blow off your rocks. If you do change it after blowing off the rocks. An easy way of blowing the rocks off is either with a turkey baster or a power head. It will make one heck of a mess when you do it right.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I've got a small cyano problem, have been scraping it off the rocks with a toothbrush while holding airline tubing as a siphon. It doesn't seem to come back to the places I remove it, but the crushed coral substrate now has hairs of it flowing up from it, and curiously, it's in the highest water movement area of the tank. The opposite back corner which has the lowest flow has NO CYANO. I don't get it.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

When I had an outbreak of it,it was growing on the rock about 1" from the powerhead,Its not always due to flow,check all your water tests,phosphate,trates.keep lights off,if 1 week wasn't enough then leave off for 2.Get the bio balls out and clean them and the sump you have them in,keep doing minimum of 15% pwc each week,post your test results.I would also consider getting rid of the cc or at least vacuumimg it.
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hi David, thanks for your reply. I went out and bought a phosphate test kit tonight and it tested somewhere between 0.0 - 0.25. My nitrates have been stable at 5.0 for a few weeks, 0.0 ammonia. I have some zoas and an acan and a rhodactis shroom in there so turning off the lights isn't really an option. I'll be doing my 2 gallon (out of 10, 9 really with rock and substrate) tomorrow and will scrub and siphon as much as I can again. I only have 2 hermits and only feed my three head acan every other night, one mysis shrimp per head, so I don't have excess food going on. And since my cc bed is only 1" deep, I stir it a little while vacuuming.

Just have to keep at it I guess. Just would like to have it under control before I put a fish in there.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:18 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhart608 View Post
Hi David, thanks for your reply. I went out and bought a phosphate test kit tonight and it tested somewhere between 0.0 - 0.25. My nitrates have been stable at 5.0 for a few weeks, 0.0 ammonia. I have some zoas and an acan and a rhodactis shroom in there so turning off the lights isn't really an option. I'll be doing my 2 gallon (out of 10, 9 really with rock and substrate) tomorrow and will scrub and siphon as much as I can again. I only have 2 hermits and only feed my three head acan every other night, one mysis shrimp per head, so I don't have excess food going on. And since my cc bed is only 1" deep, I stir it a little while vacuuming.

Just have to keep at it I guess. Just would like to have it under control before I put a fish in there.
just keep doing this,it will go.
Just remember stirring and vacuumming cc can cause a spike which is why a lot of people replace it with sand.

David S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outbreak, red slime, slime

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com