MAKE YOUR OWN LIVE ROCK????!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
id call it base rock !! but yes ive made a few myself and its fun and easy !! ya want to use 1 part portland cement 3-4 parts sand/cc/shells/ect... i just used sand my self ! i added noodles as i made the rock and use sand to make diff openings thru out the piece !! after 24 hours place in a tub and change out the water everyday for 4-6 weeks till the ph stabilizes and noodles are gone then ya can put into your tank :) i know there is a link but cant find it right now :)

Can someone tell me if there is a quick and dirty way to get the rock to cure? I tried some when I first started buying LR and I soaked it for about 2 months in a 5 gal container while changing the water weekly or 2x a week. PH was still high (9.0+)so I put the rock in a dry, sealed container and gave up.

Well, I decided to try again with the same rocks and they seem to be leaching a bit less but leaching none the less. My tap water tests at 7.2 and the water after being in a week tests about 8.6-8.8. I dont have a PH or heater in the water with the agrocrete. I have read that vinegar helps but I believe one of the links above states different results.

Any ideas?

Garf.org tried several different methods including adding vinegar to speed up the process and all seemed to yield the same result. The conclusion I read out of their production was the more water changes, the faster the process.

It's at the bottom of the page:
http://www.garf.org/news16p2.html#CURE

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom