Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-26-2003, 04:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
Making plans

Well i wanna get another tank but cheap, real cheap.
Plan:
30gal Long tank $35
Getting tank drilled for overflow: $5
DIY stand & canopy: $20
DIY sump: Not sure on any suggestions on the cheapest but a reliable way? And all what i should use for a filtermedia?
Info would be great thanks. IM trying to see how cheap i can do a tank for alot of the stuff is cheap because i have connections and work at a Home improvement store

Old 08-26-2003, 10:17 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
IM trying to see how cheap i can do a tank for alot of the stuff is cheap because i have connections and work at a Home improvement store
IMO, one of the best ways to get a cheap set up (sometimes vvery large and very expensive set ups) is to keep an eye on the classifieds section of the local newspaper. You may have to wait awhile, but the bargains are there

Quote:
DIY sump: Not sure on any suggestions on the cheapest but a reliable way? And all what i should use for a filtermedia?
In the DIY section there is a sticky on how justDIY made a DIY sump/trickle filter, which might be helpful. If your simply looking for a sump (rather than a trickle filter, a 10g tank works well and are pretty cheap. What to use as media, is dependant on how you want to set the tank up, for a FO you'll want some biological media, for FOWLR and REEF, you will use the rock and sand in the tank for nitrification and use the sump to hide equipment, increase water volume and possibly add a refugium.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 10:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to fernzpat
I second that motion. I got my 90 with a large sump, pump, 160 watts of NO lighting, some of the best looking live rock (20 bs), tons of mature sand, a stand, and some fish (gave them to a friend), and some nice leathers for $200 in the classifeds. I looked for one month and drove 150 miles to get it (near Reefrunner69's neck of the woods), but it was SOOOOO worth it.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:15 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I am a firm believe that inexpensive setups (cheap just sounds so negative ) are not only possible, but reasonable. It just requires more diligence on the keepers part to be sure the tank is in high quality and especially require patience as throwing money around is the fast/easy way, IMO
Old 08-27-2003, 01:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to kribbz
for a sump you could just use a rubbermaid container. then to partition it off you can just use other smaller containers. this is what i have done and i have three compartment. first a bread container for the baffle, then a medium sized rectangle area for a refugium and the rest is for my skimmer and heaters and return pump. all in all it cost me about $11.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:59 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
I just purchased a 75gal for a great deal. Im thinking of using possilby a 5 gal pail for a trickle filter, bio-balls etc and have that run into a refuge 10gal what you think? Also what should i put in the refuge? Thanks.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:52 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Kribbz- you gotta help me make a sump/fuge like yours what are the mesurements and could you get me a drawing or photo. I've been wanting to do something like this but can't come up with the master plan for it. I love the way you got a fuge in it,that was one of my hard parts to figure out.I was also thinking about having a couple of small containers above that you could put some filter media in once in a while. Can't wait to get started TIA -Chris

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com