Making the perfect saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quixand

Aquarium Advice Activist
First off, hope everyone had a wonderful turkey induced sleep coma yesterday.

Making the perfect saltwater for your tank. Tips, secrets etc. Discuss. Thought it would be a fun day after Thanksgiving topic.

This is what I do.
Friday-add water, salt, ph, heater
Saturday-test water's salinity, add salt/water, if needed
Sunday-remove old water from tank, clean equimpent, add new SW.

Do you follow the mix instructions? Or do you find a certain amount of salt to a gallon is best?

Also, as a side note, I'm doing a QT for my Ich ridden fish as per another post. I cannot find a refractometer, would a glass hydrometer be acurate enough to measure SG? I've been using a swing arm type up until now, but then realized I had a glass hydrometer in the closet from my beer brewing days. ;)

I pretty well do what Scott does.Refractometer is best. Smith and Foster has them for around 50.00 including shipping. If you are going to make your own SW then it`s best to have one IMO.

I agree, I bought the refracto from the drs site, for around $42.
I never really went with the instructions for mixing water. I figured since I am on well water it might mix differently, so I just measure the salinity....by now, I have a general idea of how much salt to add.

quixand said:
I cannot find a refractometer, would a glass hydrometer be acurate enough to measure SG? I've been using a swing arm type up until now, but then realized I had a glass hydrometer in the closet from my beer brewing days. ;)

I've got one of those too, but bought a refractometer anyways. You can't beat the accuracy, plus some of them are temperature compensating. With a refractometer, you can easily see a variation in SG of .001 - if your eyes are good, half of that. Tough to do that with the bobbing glass hydrometer and trying to be consistent with where to read the miniscus. If you do go with the glass hydrometer, don't forget to adjust for the temperature of your water.

Ok..... I've never heard of adjusting for the temp of the water. Can you elaborate? Usually the water I put into the tank once mixed is close to the ambient temp of the tank. +/- a couple degrees.

It's best to match as many parameters in your pre mixing so when you add it to your main, there is no extra stress.

quixand said:
Ok..... I've never heard of adjusting for the temp of the water. Can you elaborate? Usually the water I put into the tank once mixed is close to the ambient temp of the tank. +/- a couple degrees.

Oh... sorry, I wasn't clear there.

What I meant to say was that if you use a glass bulb hydrometer, remember that those readings you get from the scale inside the bulb are usually calibrated for a certain temperature. For the one I used for homebrewing, the scale inside the bulb reads correct if the liquid you're measuring is 60 degrees. If you're measuring 77 degree liquid, then I'd have to remember to add .002 to whatever reading I got. When you bought your hydrometer, it should've come with some type of temperature correction chart.

Spring for a refractometer, or put it on your Christmas list! I can't begin to tell you how happy I am that I started out with one. Two drops of water on the thing, flip down the lid, stare into a light and voila... you've got your reading. It makes it sooooooooo easy to take a quick reading.

Oh I completely agree with you on the refractometer.

My LFS was selling them for $90 bucks!!!! Crazy!!!

I'll probably end up picking one up on ebay.

quixand said:
Oh I completely agree with you on the refractometer.

My LFS was selling them for $90 bucks!!!! Crazy!!!

I'll probably end up picking one up on ebay.

As much as I want to support my local fish store, there is no way I'm going to pay 2x what I can get it for online. Pretty much all hardware (unless it's an emergency) I get now days come from online. I was at a LFS the other day and they wanted $36 for a Stealth 100W heater. 8O

Yeah....the markup at the LFS is pretty steep.

For the most part, their livestock is generally spot on with online prices though.
My LFS however tends to have alot of dead fishes in their tanks. And they never seem to notice them. Unfortunately for me, I bought 2 clowns from mine, which ended up being riddled with Ich, and they are now in QT not doing so well. They didn't eat last night. Hoping they eat tonight, otherwise they are on the way out. =(

My buddy bought a Tang the same night that ended up with Black Ich. After a freshwater dip the Ich died, and so did the fish about 2 nights later.

Moral of the story is, don't buy fish from my LFS. LOL

Kurt_Nelson said:
As much as I want to support my local fish store, there is no way I'm going to pay 2x what I can get it for online. Pretty much all hardware (unless it's an emergency) I get now days come from online. I was at a LFS the other day and they wanted $36 for a Stealth 100W heater.
Yup, me too! I had to buy a 96W light, they charged me $60. I will continue to buy live stock from them. They will order what I ask for and I will wait at least a week, to make sure the fish is healthy.

yeah....feels kinda good saving about 60 bucks from the LFS. LOL

Only saved about 10-15 bucks from the link you posted earlier roka...but still. =)

I like to think I saved 60 bucks, cause I had it in hand Sunday...and was closing in on the checkout counter. :O

Back
Top Bottom