Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Question Mandarin (Dragonet)

Hey! I just bought a new Spotted mandarin yesterday. It will eat some cyclope eeze but not much. Im going to set up a 10 gallon tank to breed copepods. I was wondering if anyone had tips for doing this.( Also i have put three bottles of tiger pods in my tank so far) Anyone know a good place to get great pods to start with that aren't 1 million dollars lol.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have a 10g pod tank right now. I put in live sand, some lr, a heater and an air stone. I put in one bag of sand and pods form my lfs and another bottle of pods to go with it.
I can see pods on my glass but I know it needs a few more pieces of LR and time to get a significant colony growing if at all.

I have only found pods for $15 a bottle. Some sites sell them but the shipping is crazy expensive.

I thought you got an ora? They are supposed to eat prepared foods?

Old 05-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yea but pods are better for them. and he ate more cyclopeeze this morning
Old 05-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think it's an ora she got. She was unsure in the other post. You should try to find some amphipods. They would be a really good thing to have in your pod tank to feed the mandarin. I don't know if you can buy them but maybe try to find someone that has them and borrow a rock or something.

*just looked and I think you might be able to buy some.

Carey you should look into finding some too, I have some in my nano and my seahorse tank, probably why my mandarin and scooter do so well (plus they eat frozen foods)
0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

How big is the tank you have it in? How old is the tank?

The mandarin is considered one of the hardest fish to keep and is only for the experienced fish keeper. Also only recommended for large (90g +) tanks that have been going for 8-9 months at least. I would recommend you return the fish if you don't have the above.

If you still want to keep it then it will take a lot of money if it isn't eating prepared foods. They eat thousands of pods a day. For your pod breeding tank you could also add in pot scrubbers for a place for the pods. I would throw in a lot of them. Also start doing a lot of research and reading fast on this fish and the requirements to keep them up.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I forgot the pot scrubbers! lol I threw some in too so I cn just move it from pod tank and shake out the pods.

I was able to convince my lfs to give me sand and chaeto from her sump so I have some big coepods and the little ones now too.

if you have any live rock from another tank you can move that into the pod tank too if it's got pods crawling on it all the better.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

reef2go.com sells them. Like 2000 for 20 bucks
Old 05-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

You dont need a 90 gallon(+) tank for them. Thats a common misconception. Tou should do a little more research on them before you comment. I have heard about 5 success stories of a Mandarin in a 10 gallon nano tank. I'm culturing Pods in a separate container then putting them in the tank. Heres a link to a great success story Caring for a Mandarin Goby . So NO, a 90 gallon tank is definitely not necessary. So if anyone has tips on culturing that would still be very helpful. I have a 30 gallon tank by the way.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The reason people say 90g is for the rock. it IS recommended to have over 80lbs of established rock to have a healthy pod colony without supplementing any.

I believe if done right a pod tank can work. IF. i have no idea if I'm doing it right but I think I am. This isnt toally off topic so heres a pic of my pod tank. I added another 15lbs or so of LR today, just got back from lfs.

It will take alot of work if he isn't eating prepared, but there are success stories out there. But there are also more tragic outcomes too. We just don't want you to have to watch your fish die is all.

Do you have any pictures of him yet? I'd love to see em'
Old 05-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'll be home at 345 central time and im taking some tank pictures then! and thanks for all the great help you always give

Tags
dragon, mandarin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com