Mandarin Dragonet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

otrovago

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is there a way to raise the pod population in a tank in order to keep one of these beautiful fish? I really want one, but do not want to starve it. Any suggestions will be helpful... Thanks

Also how do inverts affect the bioload? 8O

20 gal
FOWLR
26 lbs LR
20 lbs LS
Cinnamon Clown, Damsel, Yellow indian wrasse
Dwarf Hermits, Turbo Snails, Bi Colored Shrimp, Pincushion Urhcin
Button Polyps, Red Ball Sponge, Clams

I would also add that even if you do get the pod population going, the amount that a 20 gal tank could eventually support would not be nearly enough for the needs of a dragonet. They will in fact need a much larger tank 100+ gal with a large established population of pods and LR to actually have a decent chance of survival.

It should also be pointed out that any wrasse is a food competitor for the same pods and will quite quickly decimate the food supply as fast as it grows.

Wrasses in general are not very recommended for smaller tanks unless of the Cirrhilabrus sp. or Paracheilinus sp. families. The latter will usually remain smaller and can be great additions to smaller tanks. Other larger wrasses will make poor choices and outgrow smaller tanks much quicker, not to mention getting very mean and territorial in smaller environments.

Just a curious note. The Indian wrasse is one of the "common names" for the dragon wrasse which is not yellow. Are you sure this is the wrasse in question?
marinedepotlive_1744_15984124

Cheers
Steve

well, the LFS called it a yellow indian wrasse. The difference between this wrasse and a regular yellow wrasse is that this one has a white belly as to the yellow wrasse is completely yellow. No is not the one above, its aobut 1 in long including fins, very small and it is yellow with some black dots along the top fin and a white bottom or white belly i should say. When I get home I will try to a pic posted, if its out and about, usually by the time I get home its already in the sand bed.:wink:

As to my draggonet, the damsel is coming out so thats why I'm deciding on a new fish. But I dont want to throw my money way if I cant keep it alive. Just outa curiosity, how do you keep the pod population up in larger tanks? I've read about buying pods to add to your tank but I guess that still wont be enough... what other fish would be recommeded to go with the two I have? 8O

otrovago said:
No is not the one above, its aobut 1 in long including fins, very small and it is yellow with some black dots along the top fin and a white bottom or white belly i should say.
That description alone would suggest the Canary wrasse or Halichoeres chrysus which is one of the more peaceful wrasses but still does get to a decent size of about 4-5".

Just outa curiosity, how do you keep the pod population up in larger tanks? I've read about buying pods to add to your tank but I guess that still wont be enough...
Best suggestion there is a refugium where the pod population can multiply unhindered. It is still sometimes not enough even for large systems.

what other fish would be recommeded to go with the two I have? 8O
With the cinnamon and the wrasse, I would still be carfeful with additional fish as the two you already have will get to a fair size. One suggestion would be a small goby or blenny. Just be very sure what you get does not have the same feeding habits as the wrasse (planktonic/pods) and stays relatively small (<2").

Cheers
Steve

ive had my mandarin for about a year now,she was in 1 of the tanks at work for a while and her belly was starting to concave (obviously not feeding).i have a 60gal tank which is absolutaly choka of live rock so i took a chance on buying it.shes going strong and has a nice fat belly on her,now i dont know if this is of any help but one of the lads at work recons u need at least 12kilo of live rock to support 1 mandarin. :?

well if thats the case, its about 24-25lbs of lr if my conversion is correctly. My tank has 26lbs of LR. :idea:

Back
Top Bottom