Mandarin getting eaten? Or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Me researching isn't an issue, but we can't answer everything for you. We are trying to help you in saying that it more than likely wont work and setting up 10-15 feet of piping to try and supply a mandarin is just asking for trouble. Its your tank and money so we can't really stop you from doing as you please. But why ask for help when you keep trying to nullify it? Please understand im not wishing to upset you, just don't see a point

Also, having the 20 hooked up to the 150 and sump gives it exellent filtration, and more of a chance for the mandarin. The pods can multiply in the tank and sump, and get transferred into the 20.

And I agree...the 10-15 feet of piping is what I was referring to in terms of problems, and that's a gorgeous setup

That is an awesome setup. Not sure I'd keep those small fish with that big of a mantis but that's a different story.

I also think the mandarins are very nice fish, but I also think it'd be better left for a different setup.

It is awsome! lol. Its going to be alot of work but I should be able to get it done! Ill post pics after I finish it. WITH MY MANDARIN!!!!! That is, if I my parents let me lol. Thanks you for the help so far! ILL PULL IT OFF!!!!! haha

If you're going to do it I would wait to add the mandarin and let the pod poulation grow. You need a TON of pods for a mandarin and even then their success rate isn't good. How long has your tank been running?

On the other hand. you could get one eating frozen foods and put one of those in a 20. Now, understand you will have to overfeed to a degree because they eat all day long. Mine, I feel is an exception to the shy rule. when the food goes in, he is right in the middle with everyone else. Now, other times I can see him picking away at the rocks, and this is in a 125g setup with a ATS, so there are pods out the ying yang for him to snack on.

Yes I'll wait awhile. I'm ordering 2000 pods this week so that should help a ton. Will I be good right after I add them? My tank is about eight months old but I have no pods.

Still s gamble. They can revert easily
**edit
Pods will surge up and down in population for awhile until they truly settle out. Thing you have to make sure of is can the population sustain itself at its low points while there's a mandarin sucking down dozens of them a day

even if you can get them to eat prepared foods, there is no guarantee they will continue that behavior. they can stop as quick as they started. you hear it a lot with the ORA tank bred mandarins.
turf scrubbers are not ideal pod breeding grounds. they prefer to be submerged, and algae is not a necessity. it just happens that they are free of predation in a refugium and can breed there unchecked, where there also happens to be algae growing.

I don't see any at least. I did do hypo in my display which killed them all. My fish are in my signature. They all eat prepared foods.

crister13 said:
I don't see any at least. I did do hypo in my display which killed them all. My fish are in my signature. They all eat prepared foods.

You'll never see any with the lights on. Get a flashlight and look really close, when the lights are out, on your LR and you might spot them.

Ya ok Ill make sure to buy the defibs and medic kits lol. Ill try looking at it at night tom. night. Im am away right now.

Back
Top Bottom