Mandarin getting eaten? Or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crister13

Aquarium Advice Addict
My tank info is in my sig. and I want a mandarin. Pods are not an issue. Would it get eaten? Ive heard they are usually ignored, but dont want to kill one. THANKS!!!!!

Well, the grouper may pose the biggest problem. I believe they go along lionfish rules of whatever fits gets eaten. The trigger may harass and nip the thing to death. If the mandarin was the first fish, I'd say no problem except the grouper.

If I added the mandarin lights out do you think I would be ok? I rewally want one of these as they are my favorite fish. I would order it large from LA. It says it comes 2.5-4". My trigs 4, bird wrasse7, grouper 7, batfish 10 in tall, and yellow tang 5 in. I know what I may be able to do. If I give the fish feeder goldfish (I have only done this twice) they GORGE themselves until they cant move. If I added the mandarin right after that, do you think that would work? Also, do you think I could add the mandarin without QTing because he needs pods?

Personally I think a mandarin isn't a good idea considering your stock. They are very delicate fish and quite small in comparison to what you have already. I doubt you will get a 4" mandarin so consider what would happen if you get a 2" one....

The only reason Im considering it is because LA has them relatively big and almost every article about them says no fish ever pay attention to them............. If I did the feeder fish thing (SOOOO FUN TO WATCH LOL) could I possibly do it? That would ensure he got the the bottom of the tank/rocks and found a hiding place. Do you have to QT them? I dont know how he would get pods in the QT tank.

I think it's just the nature of the tank you decided to have. :-( I wouldnt trust the grouper or the trigger. I've seen my friends trigger eat fish larger than my mandarin. Granted I have a small mandarin but theres no guarantee how big the one you want will be. Unless you pick one up locally that is quite large, my LFS had a few mandarins that were about 3-4". But I still would worry.

Not what you wanted to hear I know, but it's kinda how it is. Have you considered making a "happy" tank for non aggressive fish?

I didn't qt mine because of the pod issue. My yellow watchman constantly lunges at my mandarin, he hasnt done anything damaging and the mandarin doesnt pay him any attention but it still happens. They are also slow methodical fish, mine just flutters along pecking at rocks. It wasnt even that hard to catch mine so I';m guessing if your fish wanted to catch one it wouldnt have any problems doing so.

I cant make a new tank because Im on 13 and already have 2 other tanks and my parents wont let me. Here a link to a vid which I would want to achieve. Kind of the mandarin/aggressive tank.

Would there be anything I could do to reduce the aggression? Im willing to do almost anything except set up another tank. Please let me know.

As carey and others have mentioned numerous times, its not what you really wanna hear but its more than likely not gonna work. I myself have 2 triggers, both 5-6", absolutely destroyed a 4" rainbow wrasse... I mean his internals and guts were completely gone. Even if your trigger left him alone...the groupers gonna prob make dinner out of him

Yeah, I have a Niger Trigger and he took a bite out of my Sixline's stomach and continued to attack him. If I were you I wouldn't do it. Sorry. :(

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol. Alright thanks for all the help. I probably wont do it unless I see one that like 5in lol. Ill let you know if I get one, which I almost definitely wont.

And then if he gets big put him in the tank (try to ill make sure he doesnt get eaten) or sell him. COULD this work?

No, putting it in the fuge isn't enough space and isn't fair to the madarin. Putting him in the tank, even if you put it in at night, its only a matter of time until your grouper/ triggers find him and make him a meal.

Ya I know. I actually decided on that myself. I just got a maybe from my mom about setting up a 20g refugium outside of the tank LIKE a DT but not. May do that!!!!! GETTING EXITED!!!!! I would need like 10-15 feet of tubing. Do you know where I could get it????? I would be using my overflow from my old sump for the 20, I need extentions on that. Its a standard ridged tubing. Do you know where I could get some? Also, I need tubing to get the water from the sump to the 20, 10-15 ft away. Do you know how I could do that?

There's no way you are gonna be able to run 10-15 feet of tubing and reliably supply a mandarin with pods. We are trying to save you the more than likely heartache that would result from you attempting to house a mandarin with your selected fish. And by all means ask questions but you need to research these things on your own so that you learn as you go. Having others research everything for you isn't going to help you learn

I know I have to research these things but I have seen people with beautiful refugiums. I will keep my current in sump refugium for growing pods, and make this tank with the mandarin. I dont see why thats so bad. Ill look for it myself. If you dont want to research thats perfectly fine. Just dont.

Back
Top Bottom