Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

I'd let the tank go mandarin-less for a year if it were me. That'll let the pods establish themselves and breed enuf to sustain. I did keep a fat mandarin in a 72g for years and added no pods, but the tank had about 100 lbs of rock that didn't have a mandarin in it for the first year almost.

Have no experience or knowledge of tiger pods.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:19 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey Flake,
Thanks for that response. Like I said I just joined yesterday and really just made that first post cuz that was the main reason I wanted to join. I was google'n question about the madarin and this site came up and i checked it out and it looked like this was the place for me. The cost of pods is not a problem at all i was just say'n they are of both equal value and it was look'n to me that the mandarin wasn't even try'n to eat them. I mean they would be right in front of him and he wouldn't even try. So my question was mainly to see if there are any tricks to get them to eat them. And if you know any of the sites on line for the mandarin please let me know. Everything I have ever come up with off of google is the same stuff in the books or story's like mine with no answers at least not yet anyway.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:22 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks Ray, I'll give it a shot. I really want to be able to keep one, they just look unique and cool. Plus I kinda like the challenge.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:30 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Ok, but just one next time... After some time.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ahh sorry if my post came of harsh, wasn't intended. I respond to a quite a few threads that are asking about mandarins, and get carried away sometimes because often people have no clue besides what color they want. Again, sorry if my post sounded harsh.

If, after you wait for your tank to get established, you can either grab an ORA mandarin, or I typed up an article-ish post in the Saltwater Fish and Coral Profiles subforum. It may be of some help if you want to attempt to train it to eat prepared foods. Keep in mind they constantly peck at rocks, no matter if a pod is there or not, so you may have just missed it eating pods. They also seem to be more active just after the lights go out, which is when there is quite a bit of activity with pods.

Just a recommendation on books, if you ever happen to come across "Reef Secrets," grab it. Can't remember the authors' names, but it is packed full of info that is up to date with almost everything. Most books out there now refer to PC lighting as the "greatest leap in aquarium lighting" which is usually a huge red flag that the book is out of date. Hope I helped a bit in this post, and again, very sorry if I offended you.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:59 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey Thom,
Thanks for the info and apology accepted and I'm sorry if I took the comment the wrong way. I'll look for that book. No hard feeling's and you're White Sox are do'n alot better than my Red Sox so maybe thats what got me worked up a little more than I should have. Thanks again
Old 04-15-2011, 09:09 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not to derail the thread, but I haven't payed attenton to the Sox in a year or two, was a little angry about them letting Dye go...

Back on topic... As for the tiger pods, they are a bit big if I remember right? Mandarins need the smaller ones such as amphipods and copepods because their mouth is small. This is also why when/if you get them eating prepared foods, you will have to chop some foods up into tiny peaces. I have a few links buried that are on feeding techniques, I'll find them for you in a bit.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:19 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank's Thom,
That would be great any help would be or articles would be awesome. I was think'n they were too big for the Mandarin but the salesmen at all the aquatic stores I go too are pretty insistant that tigger pods is all they eat, but what you said makes more sense.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Flake
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...sh-123776.html
Old 04-15-2011, 09:35 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Caring for a Mandarin Goby
Food Presentation
Pod Eaters - or - Mama Don't Feed Me No Balogna
Melevsreef.com - Melev's Mandarin Diner
Melevsreef.com - Mandarin Care

These two are on breeding, but still interesting....

Breeding the Green Mandarin - Microcosm Aquarium Explorer
Marine Ornamental Fish & Invert Breeders Association • View topic - Dragonettes & Mandarinfish Breeding/Spawning Overview

There are some areas of bad info. in some of these, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Forgot to say, welcome to AA! Hope I have helped resolve some questions.

*Other mods/admins, if you see any problems with these, please take any neccassary actions.*

Tags
gobi, gobie, mandarin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com