Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-15-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cool Mandarin Gobie????

I've bought 2 mandarins in the past and I'm wonder'n if there is a better way cuz each time they basically end up waste'n away and starve'n to death. I always try to pick one of the bigger healthier looking ones in the tank and I also look for one that is nip'n at the rocks or at least looks like it's try'n to feed.

And I also get a couple bottles of tigger pods and put in about 1/2 a bottle a night every other day till they are empty. But each time they never eat and rarely nip'd at the rocks. And sadley after about 2 months they both died.

As you all know this is a great look'n fish and I would love to be able to keep one for a decent amount of time but with the price of the tigger pods be'n the same price as the Manderin which $20.00. I wouldn't mind so much if I actually saw him eat the tigger pods but that wasn't hapen'n. Soooooo....

I was wonder'n If any of you have any special techniques or advice on what i can do to be able to keep one of these great look'n fish alive long enough to enjoy.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

First, there is no such thing as a mandarin goby, it is a dragonet. They require well established tanks with a ton of live rock. You will never be able to supplement enough pods to keep it alive. The only other option is to find an ORA that eats prepared foods, even then I have heard they revert back to eating pods once they get in the aquarium.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

What size tank ya got?? Keeping one alive in any size tank with well established rock is hard enuf. Two is a real stretch.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Easiest way to do it, tape a picture of one on the front of your tank. These fish are best left to those with more experience and those who know what to do and what they are getting themselves into. To be simple, the fact that you are referring to them as a goby tells me that you haven't done much, if any research on them. Please read more and do tons more research on the fish. When you think you have read enough, keep reading. It's entirely impossible to know more than enough about these fish.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How long did it take them to starve to death?
Old 04-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

First of all I am well aware they are called Dragonets. I am also aware there Are green Dragonets as well but i prefer the mandarin. And for you're information Thom I do all the "RESEARCH" I can on all the fish I find interesting or fish I want to have in my tank. I own books Marine Fshes, Reef Aquarium Fishes and Salt Water Fishes by Scott W. Michael, Marine Invertabrates by Ronald L Shimek And Read them all cover to cover. I joined this site because i thought it would be cool to be able to have discussions and maybe get some helpful hints and tips that the "BOOKS" don't tell you. Not to get a weak joke about tape'n a picture on my tank or to be criticized about not do'n enough research according to you. I just joined yesterday but if I am correct it looks like you are a community moderator for this site, I may be wrong cuz I didn't do enough research on the ins and outs of this site but if you are someone who is supposed to be helpful you come across as a loudmouth clown and you're buddy purevil21 up there isn't too far behind ya. I just wanted a tip or any inside knowledge if you had any... Guess not. And to answer you're question Ray since you are the only one who seems to be attempt'n to help, I have a 75 gallon tank with alot of live rock. I only had one dragonet at a time it was i tried on 2 seperate occasions to maintain one and I did everything the guy at the store told me and still no luck.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey Nick, It took about 2 months for the first one and i almost made 3 months with the second. i think the tigger pods were work'n with that one but i'm just guess'n. He was bigger so i think it just took longer to fade away.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

And how old is the tank? I like to recommend a tank and rocks be a year old before trying one of these fish. Believe me, a single mandarin can keep a pod population a bay in a 75g. 2 or a mandarin and any other fish that eats pods is too much and they'll starve.

Let's all stay civil with this discussion.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Flake
Admittedly we see probably a question a day about someone trying to keep a mandarin in a small tank where they just will not survive. Since you didn't tell anyone the size or your tank or really much about your set up, we tend to assume it's another one of the same situation.

Thom is, however, pretty right. You could read everything in existence and there would still be more to know about the mandarins. While those are good books, they don't say much about the mandarins specifically. What Thom was referring to by "research" was not necessarily "books" but doing as much googling and reading as many things about the mandarins as possible. There are a lot of great articles and pages out there about mandarin care, that are worth reading.

I would suggest you do that kind of research for anything you own, not just the mandarin. There's always more information out there for everything. We like to encourage research. We also love conversations and sharing practical experience. Saying that pods were too expensive makes it seem like you're looking for an easy way out. Unfortunately, that's the thing with mandarins, to keep one, you're going to have to add pods. They go through them so quickly.

Don't get frustrated with us, we're just trying to make sure you know all you can about this fish that really is just so fragile.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey Ray
The tank is a little over 2 years with this set up. I was wonder'n how many bottles of tigger pods should I add before I attempt add'n a new Mandarin and do the tigger pods reproduce fast enough? I have a BiColor Angle and a Lemompeel Angle, They seem to be always nip'n the rocks. thats why I got 2 bottles last time but I still think that wasn't enough.

Tags
gobi, gobie, mandarin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com