Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

What about a flame angel and royal gramma's

Old 12-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can buy pods to add to your tank. May be worth buying some to build population and if you get a mandarin can never hurt to buy some every few weeks to throw in to keep population up if you are concerned all those fish should be fine although flame is not 100 percent reef safe if you are planning a reef

Old 12-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Also keep in mind that some other fish will also eat the pods. My mandarin ate the entire population of pods i had in my tank in less than a month. If you MUST buy one I would strongly suggest paying the xtra money and getting an ORA one. They cost about $50 but supposedly they eat pellets. Mine didnt but did learn to eat frozen food after a month and now even eats pellets. BUT if it hadnt switched to frozen food mine would have starved without any doubt in my mind. I put ALOT and I mean alot of effort getting her to eat frozen, I had over 12 different kinds of frozen food and fed several times a day with a turkey baster and the flow turned off. They are extremely delicate eaters and can easily have their food eaten by other fish cause they are so slow to eat.

If I had it to do again i might not have tried the mandarin. Too much of a risk in my opinion.

Here is my fat "mandy" the mandarin

Old 12-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Beautiful fish! How hard is it to train then to eat other food sources? An I know That the flame isn't 100 percent reef safe. But some places I read that some are bad on the reef and some arnt so bad how much damage could he inflict are the brutal on the reef or just from time to time pick at it?
Old 12-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frickmiester View Post
Beautiful fish! How hard is it to train then to eat other food sources? An I know That the flame isn't 100 percent reef safe. But some places I read that some are bad on the reef and some arnt so bad how much damage could he inflict are the brutal on the reef or just from time to time pick at it?
It depends on the fish. Some flames are model citizens, some aren't. They like large polyp stony corals to munch on.
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Are those the corals that look like a bush almost?
Old 12-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody390 View Post
You can buy pods to add to your tank. May be worth buying some to build population and if you get a mandarin can never hurt to buy some every few weeks to throw in to keep population up if you are concerned all those fish should be fine although flame is not 100 percent reef safe if you are planning a reef
If you're willing to put in the effort to grow a phytoplankton and a pod culture then it's much easier to keep them. I wouldn't even think about relying on buying pods to add to the tank in order to keep them well fed.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frickmiester View Post
Are those the corals that look like a bush almost?
They come in all different forms like hammer corals, acans, Duncan's, trumpet coral, brain corals, etc
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

So soft corals should be ok
Old 12-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

ive had a mandarin for about 2 years now..... if your getting one small, from my experience im afraid the only thing you could really get them to eat are pods which you can grow yourself.... really easy to do by the way.

if your getting a larger one, you may be lucky enough (like me) that will eat other food sources.

I've pretty much got no pods left, the mandarin destroys them in a matter of days when I add them in. all I do is just feed it brine with vitamin solution and all is well.

never really had any trouble with it at the moment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com