Mandarinfish and Lionfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mandarin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can a Synchiropus splendidus and Pterois voltans live together? I have a small, about 1,5inch Mandarin fish for about 3weeks and yesterday I put a small (a body of about 4inches) lionfish in a tank of 66 gallons. The lionfish was just calmly sitting in a corner..eating only the small guppy I gave to him and just looking at the mandarin when it was passing by him. do you think that there is a chance for my cute mandarin to be eaten by the lion? And does he know that the mandarin is venomous and that's why he is leaving it?

There is a very good chance the mandarin will get eaten by the lion. Just as a point of information, you shouldnt feed your lion freshwater feeder fish. It is not nutritionally sound for them.

the fat in freshwater fish will cause eye sight problem of your lionfish in the long run

The funny thing is that...they will both die.

The lionfish will be soundly minding his own business and then see that cute little mandarin just happly sitting down to some pods when the lionfish gets the dinner pangs...he slowly approachs *jaws music begins* the little mandarin is unaware of the predator watching his every move then.....*bah dah dum!* Gulp the little mandarin goes down in one single inhale of the predators massive mouth. A little while later the lionfish is getting a pain in his stomach not realizing (well fish dont realize but lets just pretend) that that cute little mandarin fish was chalked full of poisony goodness! :D and slowly the venom begins to work on the lionfish until hes nothing but a floater...THE END!

Well thats my kids story "finding mandarin" set to hit theatres this fall...but seriously bad combo!

well there has been more than a month and Im happy to inform you that despite the warrnings the lionfish and the mandarin are still happyly swimming in the same tank,and the lionfish is not even touching the mandarin.I'll keep you posted :)

A lion can eat 1/2 it's body size, since this lion is still small but will grow much faster than your mandarin, it is a matter of time. If your lion is fed properly it should reach 8-10 inches in the first year and will reach around 15 inches in 18 months......

After the first year than you can set your clock....... TickTock, TickTock.... LOL

Kaye

when a size chart says a fish can reach 18' , they mean only in the biggest of aquariums , i dont it would reach 18' in a 65g tank

Back
Top Bottom