Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-10-2007, 10:22 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus
you can culture pods in 10g tanks alone. you don't need a fuge or even a filter for that matter.

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:52 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
so how would i use my HOB to culture my pods?

schmilnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:20 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got a mandrin too!!!!! I have 125g w/125lbs of lr and I don't see any pods either. I just bought a bottle tiger pods and added it about 2 weeks ago. I have read that it takes about a month for them to start reproducing. I have also heard that a mandrin can wipe out my whole bottle in a couple of days. I am gonna try to grow some in a ten gallon tank and a hob refuge. $20 a week is way to much to spend on a $15 dollar fish so I will have to find a cheaper route. I have read some threads that tell how to teach your mandrin how to eat prepared foods ( I will go tru may old post and find them ) Basically They don't know what the prepared food is and they can't find out because the other fish eat it to fast. I have been trying to get my mandrin to eat out of a small bottle that the other fish can't get into. So far, he has went in the bottle twice but I am not sure if he actually ate any thing. I am putting frozen blood worms and brine in the bottle. I love my mandrin he is my favorite fish.
http://www.melevsreef.com/mandarin_diner.html Here is what an expert wrote me......

View Public Profile
Visit Reefland's homepage!
Find More Posts by Reefland

05-29-2007, 09:16 PM #3
Moderator - LEE

Thanks for posting, tmkx3. No one should count upon a pod population in the display tank to feed any fish, Mandarins included.

You see, not only is the tank pod population limited in numbers, but the diversity isn't there that dependent marine fishes find in their natural habitat. I can't believe how many people think their aquarium is comparable to the ocean in this respect. There is no pod population in the aquarium that can match the diversity in the ocean. Fishes that depend upon pods will slowly die in our display tanks, even if the display tanks have plenty of pods. BUT, we still keep pod-eaters quite successfully.

The sometimes difficult Copperband Butterflyfish is a pod-eater and they will live quite well in our aquariums BUT, this takes some planning, patience, and effort on the part of the aquarist. From what you wrote, it sounds like you have patience.

First, I am very glad to hear that you have allowed the tank to mature. Only mature marine systems should house any fish, IMHO. So kudos for that!

Next, setup a quarantine tank (QT). When it is ready, then put the newly acquired Mandarin into the QT and go through the quarantine process. All the details are here for that:
A Fish Quarantine Process

In my post of how to present foods, I specially covered on how to train the Mandarin to eat prepared foods. PLEASE read and follow this advice:
Food Presentation

These are articles on some other ideas on Mandarins eating other foods:
Mandarin Diner by Marc Levenson - Reefkeeping.com
Melevsreef.com - Melev's Mandarin Diner
Don’t ever believe a mandarin is not possible to quarantine; don’t ever believe that a mandarin is totally impervious to Marine Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans).

It is very important to train the Mandarin before it gets into the display. Once in the display the Mandarin will fall back on its natural habits of finding and eating available pods (and slowly die). As explained above, those pods and not diverse enough, even IF they were in big numbers.

Good luck!
tmkx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:42 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

You mihgt look into getting a detrivore kit from Inland Aquatics or Indo Pacific Sea Farms (ipsf.com). You can also check on eBay.

Build a pod pile in a back corner out of small bits of rock, shells, etc. You want a pile of rubble that the pods can grow in, safe from the predators around them. Feed the pod pile.

My mandarin has plenty of rock to forage on. I do see him on the pod pile looking for snacks on a daily basis.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

dragon, dragonette

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com