mangroves?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drummerj

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi again everyone. I just had (another) question about something. I read today that mangroves are good for nitrate reduction and as they grow will render your protien skimmer obsolete. Does anyone have any experience with mangroves? Are they hard to take care of? im very new at this whole SW tank thing so i will be asking probably a million questions! sorry!

They are usually situated in a refugium. They are tall and will stick out above the top of the fuge. I had one, but it lost it's leaves and I presumed dead after about 3 months. I light 24/7, so maybe someone can tell us a bit more and help us both.

Not sure about the skimmer being obsolete. I can't see a mangrove removing that much floating stuff.

i found this link
http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/nitratecontrol/a/aa051398.htm
and will be lighting the tank during the day with a half actinic half daylight lighting thing, and at night there will be moonlights. and yeah, any extra help would be totally awesome.

*EDIT*
I just drove down and talked to a guy i know at my pet store where i get pretty much everything. HE told me that yes, they could in fact render the protien skimmer obsolete as they become larger. hmmm what else....oh yeah, he said i should be careful though cause itll grow pretty big and outgrow my tank....so ill probably be building a refugium for that as well as for a few other animals.

from personal experince i wouldnt put a mangrove in a tank with suspended lighting cause so the roots are under water the rest is above, and make sure if your sump or refuge is in a differant room it must be heated even tho the water is heated the part of the plant outside the water will get to cold and die. just some thought on it, id still run a skimmer with them tho.

Skimmers remove DOC`s out of the water while you mangroves will remove excessive nutrients from the water. Better to remove DOC`s out with a skimmer before they turn into excessive nutrients.

excellent. thanks for the information! is 65- 71 air tempurature good for the part of the mangrove that is sticking out of the water? and just a quick question, but someone told me that the mangrove will take magnesium out of the water, and coral needs it to thrive. is it true that the mangrove plant will actually take it out?

71 to 78 is their proffered range in the wild. Depending on how your light setup is done, it shouldn't be hard to get in that range since your water is going to be close to that as well.

Just like most reef fish, Mangrove are tropical trees. They don't handle the cold well, the main limit on their natural habitat is low temperatures to far from the equator...And human chainsaws.

I really have to check the collection laws or local suppliers on these things too. I can live with leaving the ones that are needed in the environment alone. It's just gonna irk me if I have to have seedlings shipped in from somewhere across the country, for a tree that's growing 100 yards from my house. I might have to see if there's a construction site about to take some out and see if there's any seeds to be salvaged. The park rangers will prosecute in a heart beat if you try to collect something from the wild, but if you're building a new high rise, they'll hand you a chainsaw.

I have one that was given to me by a LFS. It is in my refugium and has done well since April. One thing I was told to do is to spray them down with FW a few times a day. I have a little spray bottle with RO/DI water that I use. I lost all my leaves at the beginning but they are all back now and it is getting taller.

Not sure of the benefits of just one though. I would think you would need a few to really do anything. I like the diversity though ...

Back
Top Bottom