mantis shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

qb6fire

Aquarium Advice Freak
Considering getting the 2 at my lfs and setting up a 5.5g for them.

Does anyone have any experience with them? Also what would be the best filtration for this tank?

Ummm they'll kill each other. And 5.5 gallons isn't near big enough. The peacocks get over 6", and should have AT LEAST a 20g.

The lfs has 2 together and they dont harm each other at all.
This was just a thought as to what i may do with my 5.5g
No research has been done yet as i have finals this week and that is why i posted here before anything and asking if anyone has any experience.

No intentions to hurt an animal and will do lots of research before a purchase.

Also thanks for the corrective critics about my now seen horrible idea

Lol sorry about saying horrible. I should have said something else. Haha

The teo shrimp dont kill eachother?!? Wow thats wierd. I wouldnt get a mantis shrimp until you have your other tank totally set up and working well... Just my opinion.

Ya they only attack if you put your finger in ha and it has to be like a half gallon holding tank they are in but they are awsome!

As they get bigger they will most likely become more agressive to each other. Adult mantis shrimp usually end up killing anything they're housed with. There are countless different species of mantis shrimp, and two main families, crushers and spearers, so you'd want to identify exactly which species you're talking about to get accurate info on their requirements.

The store is in orange that has them ha

And yes it hurts not gonna do that again

Thanks deep i will look into that starting friday

Yes they are

I would say 1- 2"

The store us mainly for corals but has maybe 10 small holding tanks for fish mostly as people request them

I had a peacock mantis arrive unexpectedly in some live rock during my tank setup. I only read from websites that said they kill all fish, so quickly killed it (and half my live rock:facepalm:) In the breif time that it spent in my tank, it was burrowed into a the rock, but it waved its plumes around the entrance constantly. I would highly recomend it in a species only tank, but not if you plan on adding anything else.

from what i've read,they are fine together. the spearers dont extend there spikes and the crushers hit on the heavily armored parts when they spar. apparently they just spar for dominance. this is just from what ive read,not experience

Back
Top Bottom