Mantis shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darylb

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can I get some opinions on mantis shrimp many people say they are pests but I am quiet intrigued by them the are just awesome the way there body is designed and how powerfull they are can someone tell me how hard they are to keep and tank sizes?

There are some people, other than yourself that are fascinated by the Mantis Shrimp, but I've heard and read horror storie's about Mantis Shrimp especially when they notice one peering out from the live rock in their reef setup! Some species of the Mantis Shrimp are capable of cracking aquarium glass! If someone else has info, please reply.

Wow that's crazy if I had one it would be on its own I think and please anyone with info please do reply

I do know that any invert is on the menu.... crabs, snails, shrimp, clams, etc, plus small fish........

Though I've never personally heard of one cracking a tank, I was just watching a show last week about mantis shrimp, and they put a crab in a quart masonry jar and set it down in a tank in front of a mantis, and it completely shattered the jar after three whacks...... wouldn't want my fingers in front of that.

I wouldn't either haha it seems like a tricky shrimp to own I don't want one just yet but maybe one day in the near future

Mr X can you give me some details about them like tank size and what you feed them and stuff I tried going on the link but it won't work on my phone

They're not hard to keep, you just can't put anything with them...... A lot of people who get them as hitchhikers on live rock will put them in their refugiums. They don't need a whole lot of room, just some rock & sand since they dig burrows. They'll eat almost any meaty seafood....

Last edited:
Aw okay thanks I'm thinking about getting a 6ft tank for my freshwater fish and converting my 20gallon into a sw tank as well as having my 9 gallon nano tank so maybe ill get a mantis shrimp for the nano and put my coral banded shrimp in the 20

My 30 gallon tank is for a peacock as well. I want to stock up on more coral before i get a mantis. Because once i get the mantis, theres no way im putting my hand in the tank

I have kept a large mantis shrimp before. It killed all my snails and i knew everytime it fed cause i would hear it cracking the shells to eat the insides. Easy to care for. Usualy stayed away from my hand while cleaning. Very cool. Liked to spread sand all over my tank. Def wanna get another but maybe a smaller one.

Attachments

• image-4105376822.jpg
    image-4105376822.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 90
Their nicknamed thumb splitters for a reason. Definitely keep it by itself as all other crustaceans will become the bottom of the food chain.

Got ya, I had one that hitchhiked in on my live rock. He lasted 5 months and got almost 2" long. Something must have grabbed him when he molted and was weak. Haven't seen him in 6 weeks and that's fine by me.

I've always thought they were really cool also. If I get one, I'm not taking any chances and buying a small acrylic tank.

Would it be risky using a glass tank?

Depends on the thickness of the glass.... I've got a couple spare 20 longs in the basement, and the glass on those is pretty darn thin. You might be OK keeping it in something like that, but I certainly wouldn't provoke it into hitting the tank!!! It's said the larger ones can hit with the force of a .22 bullet....

I heard there were 2 types, smashers and spearers. the smashers are the ones that they say can break glass. They are supposed to release that smashing apparatus with the intensity of a .22 caliber bullet.
Here's an article with a little video demonstrating their power....
Mantis Shrimp Smash! - ScienceNOW

Back
Top Bottom