Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2004, 09:32 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to toddwess
Thanks for the clarification, JProx!

I'm setting up a 40 gallon FOWLR tank. I'll be using a SeaLife Pro wet/dry filter with all of the bioballs. I will only have 20 lbs of live rock in there.

What should my substrate be? Should I just go ahead and do 4.5" of Live Sand if the finances permit?

What sort of critters can I get to sift through the sand? I've owned brittle stars and serpant stars in the past, and they didn't really do anything at all. Can I sift the sand myself by hand once or twice a month?

thanks for your help
Todd

Old 01-09-2004, 11:03 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to JProx Send a message via AIM to JProx
hey todd,

Well personally i would add another 10lbs of live rock, if you can. Well if the 20lbs of live rock isn't cured you can make your own [live sand], and save a bundle. also a few cups of 'live sand' can be used to start seeding a new sand bed. if you gotta buddy with an established DSB ask him or your LFS should be able to help.

most of the critters will be introduced into the tank from your live rock, so you shouldn't have to do anything [Example: Bristleworms (as long as they aren't green)]. there ae a few critters you can buy to help with the process, Emerald, hermits crab and a few speicies of Blennies as well as hundreds of other things. if you get yourself 30lbs of live rock, it should come stocked well enough for sand sifting Imo. you could sift the sand yourself, but you will make a huge mess, and stress out the fish, and chances are you anything you did to the DSB would be minor. Critters are much more geared to that sort of thing (they have hundreds of little claws, and are always hungry) than we are, so why not let them do it ? Plus it's always cool to see something digging their way out of Sand bed, sort of looks like attack of the pod people or some other early 50's sci fli flick.

Old 01-09-2004, 11:12 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

At the 'home' stores, it's usually in the garden section and referred to as 'Tropical Play Sand'. It's sold for children's sandbox use. It is therefore screened and does not contain anything harmful. The bag may say 'Not for aquarium use', but that is a contractual thing. The distributor sells the same stuff to a major aquarium products supplier who bags it and sells it at the LFS for $20-$30 bag, or so I've been told.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 12:07 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JProx
hey todd,

Well personally i would add another 10lbs of live rock, if you can.
I certainly can go from 20 to 30 lbs of LR, but why? I don't want the tank over-run with nitrates, and don't have enough LR to remove the bioballs.

Why 10 more?

***Post edited by Bearfan to correct quote***
Old 01-09-2004, 12:10 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JProx
hey todd,

Well if the 20lbs of live rock isn't cured you can make your own [live sand], and save a bundle.
I'm getting my LR from http://www.gulf-view.com They say the LR comes right off the reef and in a box and shipped to my house. Would that be cured or uncured LR? Which is better?

When I start my tank, I'm going to cycle it with raw shrimp from grocery so that when I add the LR, there is already some bacteria in there to process the amonia/die-off from the LR.

I read somewhere that cycling the tank with LR is good, but the amonia it produces to cycle the tank actually kills some of the life on the LR. So, I'm starting with a shrimp first for two weeks before the LR or sand goes in.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 01-09-2004, 12:13 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I cycled mine with LR from www.liverocks.com and barely had a cycle. I was thrilled.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:16 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to JProx Send a message via AIM to JProx
hey todd,

well the the addition of the extra 10lb of LR is based on my personal experience, i believe in the 2/3 of the tank rule of thought when it comes to adding live rock with fish.

Some people like cured rock, some people like uncured, it's just a matter of personal opinion. Cured rock will be free of die off, and is a less work intensive. Fresh rock though takes a few weeks to cure, involves some work in the curing process, a good benefit of curing your own is that you will end up with live sand in the end. During the curing prcoess there will be some die off, of algea and a few critters from the ammonia and nitrites being produced, that is true. However that is why large water changes several times a week are required (i was told 50% 4-5 days a week was fine, but the forums suggest everyday) and keep the lights off. If these water changes are done, it should keep the levels within livable conditions for the critters, leaving the lights off will also kill some algea but when the lights come back on, the algea will recover.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:39 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
Here is a question for all. I had gotten 36 lbs of LV and put it in my 46 gal tank. after a week or so of the cycleing i wanted more rock. do i wate till it is done or do it put it in now why the cycle is going? or dose it make no difference
Old 01-10-2004, 06:54 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

cmor1701d,
Thanks for the info. I think I will let the cycle complete itself instead of making small water changes.

I wonder though, once my tank finishes the cycle, can I then put in some more LR and hope those new critter will inhabit my tank or do I have to place the LR in a quarantine tank first?

As for my cannister, I guess I will just use it as a partical remover and a current for the tank.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:14 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
once my tank finishes the cycle, can I then put in some more LR and hope those new critter will inhabit my tank or do I have to place the LR in a quarantine tank first?
That depends on how much LR and where you get it from. If it's cured and has been shipped to you, but is only a small quantity, I might put it directly in the tank. I have a 125 with 145 pounds of LR (started with 50 base and 95 LR). I'm thinking of getting another 25 pounds from liverocks.com and putting it directly in the tank. That's based on the experiences of some other posters. I will check the ammonia levels every hour for the first 24 hours to make sure I don't get a major spike. Hmm, maybe I'll only put ½ in at first and see how that goes, with the other half in a tub.

Even with the LR in a QT tank, you can remove any critters that come out of the rock and put them in a smaller tank with fresh mix that's matched in ph, temp and SG to the tank with the rock in it. You could even drip acclimate them and then put directly into the main tank.

HTH,

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, filters, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com