Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-05-2005, 03:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to reneeanneb
marine buffer?

i took a sample of my water to a pet store and they said everything was out of whack,except nitrate & nitrite.2 days ago my test said everything was fine except nitrate.but when i got home tonite my fish are turning white. so i checked whith my test and yep ph and alk were both low on my test too.they told me to use marine buffer to get it back up.but i was wondering because the guy at the pet store here said not to chemicaly treat the tank unless absoultely necessary. on my test ph was 7.8.at the pet store it was 7.4.and alk on mine is 120,dont remember what he said it was at the pet store.would you guys use the buffer or do a major water change to get it back up?i went ahead and added the buffer hoping it will bring it up some so my fish (and everything else) wont die.but this stuff says use it every day.
i'm sure its my fault ,i took out a couple pieces of rock yesterday one by one because i keep hearing something clicking the glass,and it sounded like it was louder yesterday. of course i didnt find anything.i'll just leave that as a mystery for a while.
anyway should i use any more buffer or do a water change? or do a water change and then if it still doesnt go up add more buffer?
thanks

Old 03-05-2005, 09:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
The buffer won't hurt. Not sure what reading you have for ALK but it doesn't sound right. Normal Alk reading is A meq/lL of around 2.2 to 2.5 is normal seawater level. 7.8 and 7.4 are low. How often are you doing water changes?

32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 10:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

i've been doing water changes every three days to try and drop my nitrate down.(it was 80 ppm last weekend)alk was ppm on my test. i have a different test to use but it was 2am when igot home so i did a quick check with a test strip.guess the buffer did something,my yellow tang is yellow again this am.oh no ! therewassomethingattached to him,see next post.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:31 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Alk is normally measured in milliequivalents per L (meq/L) in the range of 2.5 - 4.0) or dKH (degrees of carbonate hardness), in the range of 8-12 dKH.

There is a balance that must be maintained between Alk and Ca.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 02:51 PM   #5
steve-s

The alk is not really low but could be boosted a bit, 120 ppm is = 2.4 mEq/l. Not really low unto itself but if your having pH issues, it can be a help to increase the alk a smidge. Keeping it within NSW values (1.5-3 mEq/l) is still best goal.

In most cases the pH problem will be environmental, not chemical. If cycling, heavy bioload, poor aeartion/water flow, overfeeding, covered tank and the like will be the main contributors. More often than not, a few good water changes with well aged/aerated SW will fix things up and avoid uneccessary chemical additives and the continual unending test>> correct>>test>>correct cycle.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-05-2005, 10:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-s
The alk is not really low but could be boosted a bit, 120 ppm is = 2.4 mEq/l. Not really low unto itself but if your having pH issues, it can be a help to increase the alk a smidge. Keeping it within NSW values (1.5-3 mEq/l) is still best goal.

In most cases the pH problem will be environmental, not chemical. If cycling, heavy bioload, poor aeartion/water flow, overfeeding, covered tank and the like will be the main contributors. More often than not, a few good water changes with well aged/aerated SW will fix things up and avoid uneccessary chemical additives and the continual unending test>> correct>>test>>correct cycle.

Cheers
Steve
i have had a filter wrapped around the tube on my ph and it hasnt been flowing like normal,because all the yuck getting in it.so maybe that's the problem.i didnt want the littler things in my tank getting sucked up in there.i'm probably going to have to move it i have the tube sitting at the bottom of my tank.the shorter tube wont stay on.i have to put something
on it because i once had an anemone get sucked in there.<yuck> i just checked ph and it was back to 8.4 (using the same test as the fish store used)i also added calcium last night because they said it was low.i invested in a hang on back canister filter today.but its hanging on the front because there isnt enough room between the wall for it.going to have to buy some tubing so i can put it underneath.
lol this is getting expensive.and i have sw tank #2 cycling its fowlr. 8O
Old 03-06-2005, 01:29 PM   #7
steve-s

The filter floss (?) on the intake of the powerhead will greatly reduce flow but as long as it's kept clean on a regular basis, it should help. FWIW, you should be able to get either a strainer attachment or sponge that should fit over the powerhead and prevent problems. Check with your LFS. Just be sure if a sponge it's not a commercial product as they will contain antifugnal/mould products.

What brand/make of powerhead?

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-07-2005, 11:47 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
The filter floss (?) on the intake of the powerhead will greatly reduce flow but as long as it's kept clean on a regular basis, it should help. FWIW, you should be able to get either a strainer attachment or sponge that should fit over the powerhead and prevent problems. Check with your LFS. Just be sure if a sponge it's not a commercial product as they will contain antifugnal/mould products.

What brand/make of powerhead?

Cheers
Steve
i bought a new tube and a strainer for it ,the only way it stays on is if its sitting on the bottom of the tank.i have no clue what brand it is my husband bought it in fl years ago for a fw.he paid 80$ for it. it does a good job pulliing the water,but if there is an anenome floating around near it will get sucked up.the lfs told me to turn it down,but the water didnt move as much as i like.i've had a few fish get stuck to it to.thats where i found my puffer when he was on the brink of croaking.i will try a sponge .
Old 03-07-2005, 11:57 AM   #9
steve-s

If you have a digi cam, post a pic of the powerhead.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-07-2005, 12:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
If you have a digi cam, post a pic of the powerhead.

Cheers
Steve
here is a pic of it.when i was tearing down the fw i set it on a towel in the floor and my dog thought it was a chew toy,that is why it looks chewed where the water comes out.thats the only part he chewed. i walked into the kitchen and came back in and he was knawing on it 8O .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc00230.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	1300   Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc00229.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1301  

Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc00228.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	1302  

Tags
buffer, marine

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com