Marine4Life FOWLR thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not to often cause depending on the fish they may go to only wanting live food and not accept frozen

Jlsardina said:
Not to often cause depending on the fish they may go to only wanting live food and not accept frozen

Twice a week? Is live feeding will accelerate their growth? One more thing all my fish are coming direct import so they are not used to flakes and stuff. Not buying fish from LFS as my supplier for freshwater said he will supply me saltwater box.

Once or twice a week shouldn't be bad as a snack. But remember that most saltwater fish are wild caught and used to live food. The goal in the aquarium is to get them long term on healthy frozen because live is too expensive in most cases. Most freshwater fish do not have the vitamins needed to keep saltwater fish happy and healthy. Some freshwater fish ate not healthy for saltwater at all (goldfish). maybe hold off on live foods until you know your fish are eating frozen well enough in the aquarium. Just my .02

Hi,
Today i put 2 damsel in my tank. Seems like they are happy in the tank as they are swimming up and down going through the rocks and stuff.
Now the question i want to ask is, shall i keep all my wave makers and powerhead off at night as the sump is turning 3000 litre per hour will that be enough?

Hey Marine,
I wouldn't turn off your power heads at night because they help export waste. You would have some settling at night, and that would lead to a build-up of nutrients over time.
If you have a controllable wave-maker/pump combo, dialing back the power of the power heads would be OK, as like a night mode, gentler current at night.
My wavemaker and pumps are not controllable, but what I like to do is decrease the frequency of the wavemaker at night. Where they might alternate every 15-25 seconds during the day, I increase the time at night to make them alternate every 35-45 seconds at night. This doesn't decrease the power of the power head, but I still think it gives everybody a different feel at night.
I also mix up the wave frequency all the time, not just the examples above. I think variation of the wave frequency gives it a more natural feel. I always try to vary it a little every day. Keeps everybody on their toes!! Unfortunately without a controller, I have to do this manually, but it's just a little twist of a knob.

All my wave makers are hooked up on ocean pulse wave machine and this is hooked up on a timer so at 10pm it switches off and comes on every 2hrs for 15min with 30sec intervals. It carries on like this till 8am then its on all day.

That's a decent idea, I never thought to put the wave-maker on a timer.
But I would think the 1 hr 45 min. Off period might be too long, JMO. Maybe have it cycle on every hour for 15min. ?

My timer allows me to set minimum of 15min on and off routine so i might follow ur idea and just drop it down to every hour for 15min with 30sec intervals.
Just in the process of turning my 6foot in to marine. well the reason is i'm importing a box fish from abroad so thought i can quarantine the fish. Mate as this tank gonna quarantine the fish can i keep it bare tank with around 20kg live rock? Or do you think fish might stress them self as they gonna be straight from the ocean to this tank.

Honestly for a quarantine tank, I wouldn't even use any of your rock. If the fish are carrying anything, it could contaminate your rocks too.
I would just put in a heater, circ. pump or two, and some plastic pots or PVC pipe curoffs for cover. Obviously filtration, and it will have to have been cycled. Might not be as nice for the fish, but it would save the hassle of your rock getting contaminated.

I was thinking the same. Cut some 3inch pipes and just make a tower with them. If i use my display tanks water then will i need to cycle? well then again its 3weeks of water change from my display tank will fill it up. Do i have to use aged filter media or new?

Yeah, using your old water, you won't need to cycle. And I think using your seeded media would be a safer bet.

Back
Top Bottom