Marine4Life FOWLR thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marine4life

Aquarium Advice Activist
TANK:
50inch Width
30inch High
24inch Depth
= 155.8 U.S. gallons, which is 606.2 litres.
_________
SUMP:
36inch Width
15inch High
18inch Depth
= 42.1 U.S. gallons, which is 163.7 litres.
40 kilogram sand

image-2505165005.jpg

image-539070857.jpg

Started the cycling last Night. So lets see when it gets ready for some fish. Gonna run it like this for maybe 3month but it all depends on how well it goes.

What do you guys think of my rock setup? Kept so many ways for fish to travel through from one end to another.

Looks good. Rock work all depends on the fish you are going to be keeping. Many fish need their own cave to sleep in or seek shelter in. If you are going to have larger fish in there I would recommend larger and more caves.

Jlsardina said:
Looks good. Rock work all depends on the fish you are going to be keeping. Many fish need their own cave to sleep in or seek shelter in. If you are going to have larger fish in there I would recommend larger and more caves.

Well i'm going to have a pair of percula clown, regal tang, lipstick tang, a trigger fish, coral beauty, naso tang, threadfin butterfly BUT all the fish around 2 inch so they can grow for a while before i change the rock setup again.

Marine4life said:
Well i'm going to have a pair of percula clown, regal tang, lipstick tang, a trigger fish, coral beauty, naso tang, threadfin butterfly BUT all the fish around 2 inch so they can grow for a while before i change the rock setup again.

Those tangs all require a 6 ft tank and will not do well in a smaller one for very long. You may want to look at kole, tomini, and bristletooth tangs as a substitution and stick with two at most Just in tangs you will need 6 medium sized caves. The trigger will require its own cave as well. Also- you seem a bit overloaded with that stock list. You may want to cut a few of the larger fish out. Lastly- changing the rock work later on will stress the fish out and cause a fight for new territory. You might run Into Ich issues at that time with the tangs especially.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Jlsardina said:
Those tangs all require a 6 ft tank and will not do well in a smaller one for very long. You may want to look at kole, tomini, and bristletooth tangs as a substitution and stick with two at most Just in tangs you will need 6 medium sized caves. The trigger will require its own cave as well. Also- you seem a bit overloaded with that stock list. You may want to cut a few of the larger fish out. Lastly- changing the rock work later on will stress the fish out and cause a fight for new territory. You might run Into Ich issues at that time with the tangs especially.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

I thought in a 200gallon system i would be able to keep few tangs. Anyway i haven't bought any fish yet so i guess i will stick with lower number of fish. And just one tang so regal have to go and naso have to cone in lol. Oh by the way i have 6foot tank in the back which is running at the moment with cichlids but eventually will turn in to marine.

Marine4life said:
I thought in a 200gallon system i would be able to keep few tangs. Anyway i haven't bought any fish yet so i guess i will stick with lower number of fish. And just one tang so regal have to go and naso have to cone in lol. Oh by the way i have 6foot tank in the back which is running at the moment with cichlids but eventually will turn in to marine.

Yeah- its not really the gallons- its the size of the main tank. Tangs need 6 ft of swim room. Once you convert that tank you can get some more. Lol. While beautiful - tangs are just so Ich prone you really have to do it right.

Marine4life said:
Do i need to turn my protein skimmer on while cycling the tank with 33% live rock?

No. Leave your slimmer off until your cycle is complete or you will just prolong it

A little advice re. Triggers.., they can and usually get very territorial and extremely aggressive ., sooner or later out of the blue they may turn into a serial killer and go postal., and take out one or all your fish.. Also they can and will tale care of any cleanup crew you may put into you tank. + 1 on what jodi said re. Skimmer , tangs etcl.... Now it starts to get exciting ( and expensive )

Guess either i setup a predators tank or just scrap the idea of having a trigger. But I've seen loads of people on youtube have trigger fish and community fish in the same tank. Guess they are lucky by getting away maybe i wont.

Marine4life said:
Guess either i setup a predators tank or just scrap the idea of having a trigger. But I've seen loads of people on youtube have trigger fish and community fish in the same tank. Guess they are lucky by getting away maybe i wont.

Hey you may get lucky and get one of the friendly ones.. Yes ive seen some nice tanks with seemingly happy triggerfish in them too., its possible..... All im saying is that they can be a little on the mean side from time to time so just use a little caution.
Good luck on the build !!!

Unless you are going to go reef, I really wouldnt worry about lights. Like she said, lighting doesnt matter in a FOWLR.

Back
Top Bottom