Maroon Clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toothpik

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I just purchased a Maroon clownfish about 2 days ago....um it was fine when i put it in...but now some one its fins are clamped and it stays in the corner by my power head alot is there any advice on how to make her feel welcomed... she eats whenever there is flakes but not the cyclops

Welcome to AA. How about testing your water parameters to rule that out. As long as he is eating that is good. Is there any fish bothering him?

Thank you...I did a 20% water change today because my catilina goby died bc of ich and i didnt get to treat it in time....but i tested the parameters and they were in the best conditions... He's swimming around now after i turned off the lights but im worried when i finally get him a bubble tip anemone he wont host it but instead sit in that corner..you think he just needs time to settle?

Also there are no current fish in the tank with the gold striped maroon fish...hes the cutest little thing too about 1" i got him on sale for $24

Did you leave the tank fishless for 6-7 weeks? That is about the only way to break the cycle of ich.
Also, there is no guarantee the clown will host an anemone. They are just as content to host a corner of the tank, corals, and even phs.

well the clownfish was introduced when the goby had ich(without knowing bc it always hid in its hole) but the clownfish looks fine no signs of it or anything..i know there is no promise that it will host it but its worth a shot huh?

As Scott said there is no guarantee he will host the anenome. I have two clowns and they totally ignored the anenome so that I had to return it to the LFS.

right, but dont maroon clownfish love bubble tip anemone? so ive read from various websites...so isnt the percentage in the highs?

I imagine if you got a wild caught one that was hosting one you would have a better shot as opposed to a tank raised one, but I don't know for certain.

well thats fine some advice was much appreciated and the response time was pretty fast... thanks ill update you guys on any sudden changes..

Sorry to hear about that. At this point I would not add any fish until the ich has cycled itself out (at least 2wks, 1 month would be even better) and raising the temperature to 86F will increase the reproductive rate of the parasite, that is of course if there is nothing else remaining in the tank (invertebrates, mobile invertebrates, etc)?

In that case, you can raise the temperature (slowly depending on your actual readout) to 82F to help increase the cycle time and remain fishless while still performing water changes (gravel vacuuming helps).

o ok sounds good...i think the maroon clownfish had too much stress or something bc it looked like a wild caught now a aquacultured one and would a fire goby and 2 ocellaris perculas be fine in one tank

Majority of fish are wild caught. I don't recommend mixing clownfish species due to aggression and maroon clowns can become very aggressive as they age. Not sure of the tank size, but either way you should be fine with 2 ocellaris or perculas and a goby even in a nano.

yeah its a nano but im more worried about will the two ocellaris get agressive to the goby if i add a anenome...and i wasnt going to mix the clown species

Back
Top Bottom