Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-14-2014, 11:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Maturing Dead Rock

My 37 - now slated to be 55 - gallon FOWLR build (link to that jounal in my signature) has been on hold for quite a while. With the new school year starting, it doesn't look like that's going to be set up before next summer :scry:. In the meantime, however, I realized that I can use the entire year until then to start maturing a bunch of dead rock to use as live rock in that tank. My plan is to re-home my current fish ASAP so that I can get something up and running in the next three weeks. Here's the plan for this setup.

I'll probably get about 40lbs of dead rock and then 5-10lbs of live rock (from as many different sources as possible - I want a bunch of hitchhikers for maximum biodiversity. I know this is almost certainly asking for problems with aptasia or something like that, but I feel like I can take care of all that during this year and end up with only good critters by the time I'm ready to set up the full tank.) I'll put it in my current tank with a couple power heads. Once the live rock that I'm using to seed the dead rock is cured/cycled, I'll be adding one or two small fish (I'd be lying if I didn't say that most of the reason why I'm doing this is because I can't wait until next summer to get started) and using my AC50 for chemical filtration. No special lighting and no substrate.

Hopefully, in addition to ending up with a lot more live rock for next year than I'd otherwise be able to afford if I was to purchase it all live, I'll be able to get some experience under my belt with maintaining water parameters and such in a basic setup before adding all the fish and components that'll be in the system I'm planning.

Any comments or suggestions?

Joseph Granata
jgranata13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think that since you have a year to set it up that's a great idea and I'd be a lot cheaper and if you look on YouTube it shows how you can make rock so you can form it and make it the way you want it to look in your tank all you have to do is look up How to make rock for a saltwater Aquarium and good luck!

30 gallon reef, 40 gallon pleco tank
Ben300 is offline   Reply With Quote

dead, dead rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com