Maximum nuber of fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

two11devan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all, I have a 30 gal tank with a skimmer and fluval 204, 40 lb of LS and 30lb LR. I currently have 2 percula clowns and 1 yellow tang... How many more fish can I put in this tank without having to worry about over stocking it? What types do you suggest, and should I get some sort of clean up crew? I heard I could probably get away with up to 6 fish...I just wanna make sure I don't over stock it before I get any. Also, how many fish do you reccommend adding to the tank at a time?
Thanks for the help!!! :lol:

two11devan said:
1 yellow tang...

Everything was fine up to that point. I think you should return the tang ASAP. They do not fair well in smaller tanks (should be more than 48"/75 gal) and would most certainly not survive long in a 30 gal.

How many more fish can I put in this tank without having to worry about over stocking it?

It would really depend on the types of fish you get and if the tank is to be FOWLR or reef. You should stick to ones that stay relatively small (>2") to allow a few more choices. Especially once the tang is returned.

How old is the tank?

should I get some sort of clean up crew? I heard I could probably get away with up to 6 fish

A clean up crew is always a good idea but in smaller tanks, I think you would fair better with a mix of snails such as nerite, nassarius and cerith. A bumblebee snail or two would also add some color and interest.

I would not suggest 6 fish without knowing more about what you want. A good place to look is Live Aquaria. They give pics and brief descriptions of care, aggression as well as max adult sizes.

I would also suggest adding only one fish at a time, properly quarantined and then wait a few weeks to see if you even want/need another or if it will possibley "stretch" the bio load.

Cheers
Steve

I have heard that about the Tang...Im a little upset that i told one of the guys at the LFS what my set up was and he said it would be ok....why won't he live long? Don't they grow according to tank size??? I think its too late to take him back, i've had him for almost a week!

why won't he live long? Don't they grow according to tank size???
They will grow according to tank size, but all that means is that you are stunting their growth. There was an ancient tribe in central america (cant remember the tribe name specifically) that used to put boxes over their feet so that they would force their feet to remain small. Similar concept, the tang will still get large but it will be relatively smaller than normal size and usually not be as healthy.

two11devan said:
Don't they grow according to tank size???

No actually they do not grow according to tank size. SW fish are not like their FW cousins. Although they will not reach the same sizes they would in the wild, SW fish will still come close enough. It will lead to constant stress and fighting with tank mates which usually leads to one or more deaths.

Tangs are especailly active fish and as they get larger require much more swimming room. In a 30g you will start having health issues in 6 months or less. The LFS will most probabley take the tang back but you will only get a store credit in most cases.

I think you should seriously consider it.. :(

Cheers
Steve

I see what you all are saying, Im just a little upset that I was givin bogus information! I like that damn fish! He sot sick right after i put him in and I had to give him half and half formalin dips and i think he is doing much better now! Im just bummed that after all that, I have to return him :( I will ask my LSF if they will take him back tommorrow. Again, thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom