Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-16-2008, 04:11 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular
Originally Posted by bpeitzke View Post
Now I'm concerned about getting a single male, and intrigued about the idea of a harem, but not sure I have the room. Our 65-gal tank has lots of LR abounding in hiding places, and it's a 3' wide tall tank, so lots of open water too. But I'm worried about overcrowding. Only large fish now are the 4"+ tang & the 4" maroon clown. the blenny & the pseudochromis are small. Think 3 wrasse would put us in trouble?

Also, what's this I've heard about insufficient plankton food for these wrasse?

The only problems you'll have are with the maroon clown and the psuedochromis. The maroon clown is a real SOB to new arrivals, and sometimes to other tankmates, when he grows up, and the little dottyback is a terror to new small fish that don't look too formidable. Blenny and the tang are OK, though you should acclimate and introduce the wrasses in a darkened room with a dark tank. Will keep the tang from showing undo interest in the little colorful guys. If he wakes up with them, there won't be a problem.
Without the maroon clown you might be OK, but keep a close, jaundiced eye on the dottyback. If you do go with a harem, say one male and four females, he most likely wouldn't harass them. A single wrasse, however, he likely will.
The largest problem you have in your tank is the maroon clown, as they are up among the most aggressive of the clownfish. Up to you rather you want to keep the maroon clown or get the wrasses.

And you know, that you're over the hill, when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill . . .
Dave66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:18 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
the reason i asked is for filtration opurposes.. it sounds like youll be okay for sure... if in doubt add a protein skimmer as well if you dont have one. mine arrived today can't wait to set it up and see what kind of crud it sucks out of my tank

also to agree with dave on the dottyback.. i have seen one kick my friends canary wrasse and Oc. clowns butt to the point where he took the dotty back to to LFS... shame cause the dotty was a GORGEOUS shade of purple

mandown123 is offline   Reply With Quote

group, wrasse

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com