McCosker's Flasher Wrasse - need to be in group?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bpeitzke

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been trying to find a male McCosker's Flasher Wrasse, and am on the "email me" list for one with a couple of online sellers. But I noticed this description on MarineDepot's site:

>>McCosker`s Flasher Wrasses are happiest in schools ... Will school with chromis and other schooling fish. The males will flash their beautiful fins as they attract females. Best kept with one male and 3 or more females<<

Anyone know whether a single male will do OK, or should I consider getting a couple of females too. Might be pushing the stock limit for my 65-gal tank.

TIA

Bob

One will be fine. It just won't flash as much. Then again if you need to overstock it will probably be stressed and not flash as much...

The link I posted from WWM in your other thread has this to say.

"These fishes are hardier than they appear, most are bumped off by jumping out, being kept improperly; as lone males (they live in harems in the wild), with not-peaceful-enough tankmates, without adequate habitat, or sufficient "planktonic" food."

Just something to think about. Doesn't really say it will kill them tho.

If you have the room, the 2 females and male would do great. But as said, they might jump.

IMO, having a flasher wrasse without someone to flash for (females) isn't worth the trouble or expense.

I keep a group of 18 of their close cousins: Paracheilinus filamentosus - the filament wrasse, in an 8x4 reef tank. Got suckered into them by the red-haired goddess :), but have to say in a group they are stunning and entertaining fish. The male does his happy boogie dance for the females every evening and they've even spawned a few times, to the joy of the corals and lots of skimmer cleaning for me. Very hardy fish, too; started eating within a day of arrival.
Reason they have a reputation as a jumper is because they are startled by the instant on/instant off of aquarium lights. Usually within an hour of lights out they go over the 'wall'. If you have the lights on a dawn to dusk cycle you shouldn't have any problem with them jumping, but use a cover anyway just in case.
If you've have room, getting a male with three or more females and you'll have a beautiful show. They are little fish, as well, so the bioload is negligible in a well-established tank of decent size.

Dave

Now I'm concerned about getting a single male, and intrigued about the idea of a harem, but not sure I have the room. Our 65-gal tank has lots of LR abounding in hiding places, and it's a 3' wide tall tank, so lots of open water too. But I'm worried about overcrowding. Only large fish now are the 4"+ tang & the 4" maroon clown. the blenny & the pseudochromis are small. Think 3 wrasse would put us in trouble?

Also, what's this I've heard about insufficient plankton food for these wrasse?

TIA

Bob

i dont think it would be trouble. it seems like a good amount of fish. how much LR do you have?

I have a canary wrasse and he doesnt ever seem interested in the plankton. my clowns love the stuff they eat zooplank like its popcorn but the wrasse just looks at them like "what the heck are they eating?"

not sure if this variety is different though?

Wrasse harem?

We have all the LR that will reasonably fit in our 36"x18"x24"(?) tank. Don't know total weight, as we bought it piece by piece and didn't save the weights. I think we're on the high end of LR stock for a tank this size. Lots of nooks & crannies, and our fish seem to enjoy swimming thru/around it all. The blenny rests on two favorite rocks, and sleeps in one of two favorite holes that just fit him.

Mabye we'll try a trio of one male + two female McCosker's if I can find them. A LFS (Vivid) has males but said they weren't sure about females. We'll prob visit them tomorrow.

Now I'm concerned about getting a single male, and intrigued about the idea of a harem, but not sure I have the room. Our 65-gal tank has lots of LR abounding in hiding places, and it's a 3' wide tall tank, so lots of open water too. But I'm worried about overcrowding. Only large fish now are the 4"+ tang & the 4" maroon clown. the blenny & the pseudochromis are small. Think 3 wrasse would put us in trouble?

Also, what's this I've heard about insufficient plankton food for these wrasse?

TIA

Bob

Bob,
The only problems you'll have are with the maroon clown and the psuedochromis. The maroon clown is a real SOB to new arrivals, and sometimes to other tankmates, when he grows up, and the little dottyback is a terror to new small fish that don't look too formidable. Blenny and the tang are OK, though you should acclimate and introduce the wrasses in a darkened room with a dark tank. Will keep the tang from showing undo interest in the little colorful guys. If he wakes up with them, there won't be a problem.
Without the maroon clown you might be OK, but keep a close, jaundiced eye on the dottyback. If you do go with a harem, say one male and four females, he most likely wouldn't harass them. A single wrasse, however, he likely will.
The largest problem you have in your tank is the maroon clown, as they are up among the most aggressive of the clownfish. Up to you rather you want to keep the maroon clown or get the wrasses.

Dave

the reason i asked is for filtration opurposes.. it sounds like youll be okay for sure... if in doubt add a protein skimmer as well if you dont have one. mine arrived today can't wait to set it up and see what kind of crud it sucks out of my tank

also to agree with dave on the dottyback.. i have seen one kick my friends canary wrasse and Oc. clowns butt to the point where he took the dotty back to to LFS... shame cause the dotty was a GORGEOUS shade of purple

Back
Top Bottom