Mechanical filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is there any harm in running a sponge in my AC70 under my GFO, as long as I clean it once a week or so? My tank always has stuff floating in it, and unless I run the sponge it doesn't even get skimmed by my skimmer...? Anyone else run a sponge on their HOB filter?

I don't have a HOB but I do put a spong between my baffles sometimes to "polish" the water. As long as you clean it out weekly there qnt be any issues. Only thing I would worry about is it impeding flow through your gfo.

It seriously looks like its snowing in there sometimes, and I run a sponge and it's good in about a day. I thought the stuff would settle down in time, but without the sponge, the tank looks like garbage...

Sponge should be fine. Just be careful when removing it so you don't quickly flood the tank with everything it picked up.

Yea I just take the whole filter off and dump it out.. Gives me an opportunity to shake the GFO up too

Back
Top Bottom