Meds to keep on hand & crab question ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

capj64

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can someone post a link or just give me a list of general meds to keep on hand in case I have to QT.

Also...the question about my hermit crabs...A couple weeks ago they molted so I bought them new shells. All kinds of sizes and shapes. So far only one of them has actually kept or should I say, moved into a new shell and that was only yesterday. They play with the shells all the time, it's very entertaining. So as I'm watching them "hop" out of their shell into the new shells and then back into their shell, I noticed that one of them looks different. It has a red fuzzy butt :) The others are smooth creamy brown all the way to the end but not this one. Does this determind what sex it is, or is it a different kind of hermit crab, or does it have the fuzzy butt fungus?

hehe thats cute i was thinking about getting more hermit crabs. we had them in our first tank ever and they all started dying..couldnt figure out why till it was too late but i guess our iodine was too low. i now have iodine and calcium on hand and add it every now and then. i am worried i will overdoes the iodine though since i cant find a tester for it anywhere. Does anyone know of a good test for iodine? (brand) or is there even a test for iodine?

Sorry for adding a question to your post and not answering your question :( I haven't had too many sick fish we just have mostly ich treatment on hand and odd others

I would definitely recommend Cupramine and Melafix, depending on the tank (cupramine is a no-no in reefs), and it might help to also have some prazipro....(although not as important).

Thanks for all the input :) Gotta start somewhere, I have a QT so I think even if I did do reef later it will be ok. And thanks for the info about the iodine and calcium, I didn't know that. They're a lot of fun so I'd hate to lose them. Still would like to know why it has a fuzzy butt. I've googled and looked at thousands (well, pretty close) of pictures but haven't seen anything like it. I'm keeping my camera ready so the next time it hops hopefully I can get a quick enough shot of it :)

Here is a picture of it in it's shell...looks like a normal crab...I think :rolleyes:

DSC_3516.jpg

In case you have to QT? All fish should immediately be QT'd before adding to a display. My suggestions as follows;

Anti-Bacterial: Nitrofurazone, Maracyn 2, Baytril
Dewormer: Praziquantel and Panacur
Parasites, protozoans, and Fungi: Formalin/Malachite Green mixture
Amlyoodinium, Cryptocaryon, and Turbellarians: If you can afford it, Chloroquine.

oh, yes...I meant meds in case they're sick. I plan to QT everything new before adding to the DT... See I'm learning here :)
Thanks for the list

Back
Top Bottom