Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-19-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
Ajm
Aquarium Advice Freak

Messy maroon clown

My maroon clown is constantly going around and swishing her tail and stirring up sand causing all of my live rock to be dusted with a coat of it. Would having an anemone help curve the habit?

Old 07-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

How big is the tank? This could be a sign that the tank is to small. I put a pair of freshwater angelfish in a ten gallon aquarium temporarily and they started splashing around.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
Ajm
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaowner
How big is the tank? This could be a sign that the tank is to small. I put a pair of freshwater angelfish in a ten gallon aquarium temporarily and they started splashing around.
It's a 20 gallon. I read that its a territorial sign in clowns just don't know if an anemone would help.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajm

It's a 20 gallon. I read that its a territorial sign in clowns just don't know if an anemone would help.
Your only decent options are to either move your clown into a much bigger tank or trade him for a common clown at the LFS. Even a juvenile maroon won't be happy or healthy in a 20 gallon for long. An anemone cannot help him. He just needs a lot more room. I always wanted a maroon clown but my largest saltwater tank was a 30 and it was just way to small for one.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

20 is definitely too small. Not meant as a rude comment, but, unfortunately, a lot of people see any clown & think "Little Nemo", not realizing that some like Maroons & Clarkii's can get upwards of 5" to 7"...that's a big fish !! And clowns are very thick.... think of a maroon clown like a small SW Oscar.
Live Aquaria recommends a minimum of 30 gallons, but I think a 75 to 90 would be much more comfortable for something that gets that size.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranque
20 is definitely too small. Not meant as a rude comment, but, unfortunately, a lot of people see any clown & think "Little Nemo", not realizing that some like Maroons & Clarkii's can get upwards of 5" to 7"...that's a big fish !! And clowns are very thick.... think of a maroon clown like a small SW Oscar.
Live Aquaria recommends a minimum of 30 gallons, but I think a 75 to 90 would be much more comfortable for something that gets that size.
I was told that a maroon clown could be kept in my 30. Bad advice. I agree, 75 or larger makes more sense. I did keep an common clown alone in a 10 gallon for years, though. He was so cool. Maroons are brutes anyway!
Old 07-20-2012, 12:41 AM   #7
Ajm
Aquarium Advice Freak

She's been in the tank for years now and was recently given to me. I'm gonna up the size of my tank in a couple months, just gonna have to keep dusting off my rock till then I guess.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:09 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

My cinnamon clown " male does it all the time"

I have a 47 gallon tank

Tags
clown, maroon clown

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com