Metal Halide Bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popothemailman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im finally ordering a metal halide fixture for my 80gal, it is a dual 250w electric ballast. The guy im buying it from is going to throw in 2 free bulbs.. 10k or 20k. When i went to my LFS they had a 14k that i really liked. My question is if i get 1 20k and 1 10k will I get something inbetween? Will the side of the tank with the 20k be bluer than the side with the 10k or will it blend.

My question is if i get 1 20k and 1 10k will I get something inbetween? Will the side of the tank with the 20k be bluer than the side with the 10k or will it blend.
You will see a difference in the tank, they will not blend. Each MH will cover approx. a 2x2 foot area at best. IMO I'd go w/ the 10k, although it might be a bit yellow. Actinic fluorescents will help. I personally use 14k 2x250w MH w/ 2x110w VHO actinics.

I would install both bulbs. See what it looks like. If you want to try a 14K, buy one and try it. It won't hurt to change bulbs around to find something you like. I run two 6500K and 4 NO actinic. There are many combinations of bulbs to use. Trial and error may be your best bet with what looks best on YOUR tank.

I have one each 14k and 10k (175w) on mine. You can definitely tell the difference from one side to the other. That's not necessarily bad. Sure helps me decide which bulb to replace!

And, I'm in no hurry. When I'm tired of what I see, I'll get to it.

Back
Top Bottom